Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 2.0l 16v DOHC Zetec engine a interfering engine? I ask this because of the old timing belt question, if it goes will it screw up my engine? Ive asked plenty of owners and get different answers. Some say the timing belt screws up the engine but they don't have stock internals either. So, if the timing belt breaks will itscrew anything up?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ive heard from multiple people here the zetec is a non-interference engine. BUt if it does snap, you have to line the cams and engine to top dead center

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hate to threadjack, but on a related note - when do you change it? I can't get an answer from any of the local dealers other than "when it breaks". I know that with prior cars you're supposed to do it every 60k, others at 90k, and not change chains (previous car had a 2.5L duratec - chains).

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The dealer's say that because the timing belt is a PITA to change out and not worthwhile until the belt actually breaks.

It's a non-interference engine. The timing belt going won't ruin it.

Older engines (interference) it was necessary to change the belt at intervals to avoid engine damage when the belts broke.

·
Registered
705 Posts
but changing it will keep you from being stranded on the side of the road when it does decide to break. Luckally for me, I was only a mile from my home and didnt need to go to work that day. Also, less than a minute after I pulled over, my friend randomly drove by and towed me home. You might not be so lucky.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just changed one on a car with 82k miles.It was towed in, and at least 20 teeth were missing on the belt.The owner said the check engine light came on and it had no power.When they shut it off,it would not start again.I know the Zetec is supposed to be a non-interference motor,BUT I have seen them bend valves up the track.If the motor is really spinning,damage IS possible.Change the belt before 80k to be safe.It's really not that hard of a job.I don't even remove the center belt cover anymore as I just slip the looped belt down to the crank gear and set it up on the locked cams and tighten the tensioner by the book.About two hrs. if you are handy,four if you take your time and a weekend if you dring alot when you work and have to redo it a few times[cheers]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts