Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading these threads,I am coming across interference engines.I own a 1.6 I Zetec-SE 16V,is this engine an engine where pistons hit valves when the cam belt breaks?

·
Registered
950 Posts
i think the zetec is an intereference free design

i could be wrong though, i'm pretty sure the d20 and d23 are interference designs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,that is good news,though I need the belt changed,as I can hear bearing squeal from the tensioner,from inside the car!Local garage gave up with trying to remove the crank pulley bolt today,too tight,was scared of it shearing.Got to go to Ford now,they put it there,they can get it off.

·
Registered
153 Posts
yep.Duratecs hit.Zetecs don't.Duratecs are chain driven.Zetecs belt.

Not doubting you, but how are you sure?

I've actually been doing a ton of research on this the last 2 days and I cant find any conclusive evidence either way. Of course, you might have personal experience that supercedes anything found on the internet.

but I've seen credible sources that say the SOHC zetec is a non-interference engine while the DOHC is an interference engine. I hope thats not the case but I've seen it at a couple places.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
The SPI is a SOC engine, but I don't think it's considered a ZETEC. If that's right then all Zetecs are DOC, and I believe non-interference engines. The first thing I learned on this forum was not to mess with the underdrive pulley for my 2.3 Duratec to avoid the possibility of turning it into a grenade...

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I work at Ford and let me end this thread forever....

SVT zetec is interference
regular zetec and SPI are not interference
All duratecs are interference

I have seen too many dtecs blown to pieces from messing with the crank pulley.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
But don't forget, this is a 1.6l Zetec from over seas. It could be different, but if I had to put money down, I'd wager it isn't.

·
Registered
602 Posts
1,6 l Zetec is an interference engine, have seen evidence of that when a Ford dealer was 2 replace the timing belt! (Ended up with a new engine free of charge)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I work at Ford and let me end this thread forever....

SVT zetec is interference
regular zetec and SPI are not interference
All duratecs are interference

I have seen too many dtecs blown to pieces from messing with the crank pulley.
When you say mess with the crack pulley, what do you mean exactly. I know people were also mentioning the tensioner. My belt seemed pretty loose so my mechanic tightened it up. Is there something you think I should tell him about it as a word of caution.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
You found a thread from '07 that includes mixed information, even reading the whole first page (10 posts) not all info. is covered - like SOME SPI's are interference.

When you ask about the crank pulley, it doesn't apply to your car if it is the 2001 Wagon in your info..

The crank pulley danger from loosening it applies only to Duratec engines and they were not used until 2003 in any Focus models here. (Pulley holds timing ONLY when tightened)

Timing belts on the Zetec (likely engine for your car) are only tensioned when a new belt is installed. Doing it again later tends to make them too tight and they will then wander and be damaged. Marks on tensioner are for new belts only.

If belt is original or if mileage is 100k since last replacement it needs replacement now. Tensioner and idler pulley should also be done, often sold as a set.

·
Registered
2 Posts
must say that i appreciate you all contribution to this question. right now i am faced with said problem. timing belt broke while driving. i am a diy guy so i hope zetec se 1l6l DOHC is an non-interference engine.
thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My understanding is all Zetecs are interference, but the the US 2.0 Zetecs can freewheel without damage due to cups in the pistons (I’ve had a belt jump and done a head gasket and can attest they are there on US models and keep the valves safe). I’ve read international models do not have this and would crash... Here’s hoping for the best! Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was thinking more about this. Someone correct me if this is stupid, but you could test your valves by removing the timing cover, and holding your valves closed with a timing tool. When the slots on the cams line up they should all be closed. With them held closed (very important to prevent a crash!) do a compression test and see if you still have compression. Again, someone please speak up if I’m off base here!

·
Registered
2 Posts

• My understanding is all Zetecs are interference, but the the US 2.0 Zetecs can freewheel without damage due to cups in the pistons (I’ve had a belt jump and done a head gasket and can attest they are there on US models and keep the valves safe). I’ve read international models do not have this and would crash... Here’s hoping for the best! Let us know how it turns out!
    Thanks man, will do. Psyching myself for the journey.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Post #15 is WRONG, some of the valves ARE OPEN with the timing tool in place. Nowhere has it ever been published that they are closed. There is no position in an engine where all valves are closed except with cams not physically in the engine.

US spec zetec are non-interference, SVT and euro spec zetec will bend valves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, glad you corrected that! To that point, like you said the valves will close if the cams are removed. So if you remove the cams and check for compression you will know if you have bent valves. You could even try using compressed air to check for bent valves. If it doesn’t hold air with the valves closed you have a bent valve. That would save further damage if there is a bent valve that could contact a piston.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
You must have cams in place to work valves or you get no pumping in and out action to read compression, it will simply go up to say 20 psi and back down over and over. Needless to say that won't show you anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not doubting you, but how are you sure?

I've actually been doing a ton of research on this the last 2 days and I cant find any conclusive evidence either way. Of course, you might have personal experience that supercedes anything found on the internet.

but I've seen credible sources that say the SOHC zetec is a non-interference engine while the DOHC is an interference engine. I hope thats not the case but I've seen it at a couple places.
If that's right then all Zetecs are DOC, and I believe non-interference engines. The first thing I learned on this forum was not to mess with the underdrive pulley for my 2.3 Duratec to avoid the possibility of turning it into a grenade...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts