Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made the trip down to Fort Bragg NC today. Had a little run through with a virginia state trooper though. I was following him on I-95 in Richmond were he switched lanes and slowed down to 60. So i passed him doing 65 which i believed was the speedlimit[dunno] . Well as soon as doing so, I was pulled over immediately. Now to the sad part..

The cop didnt introduce himself, he was very unprofessional and pretty much down right disrespectful to me. Asked for licence etc. Says the reason i was stopped was for having a radar detector on my dash.. Im like oka, whys this a problem???[dunno] Well in the good state of VA, its ill-legal to have one in the car unless locked securly in the car. I was like uh alrite. Officer says he needed it and wanted to test it. So I say sure, I give it too him. Also adds in that suppose i was driving wrecklessly and such... which baffeled me because i came up behind him and stayed behind him, but who knows, hes the cop. So he comes back, says I need to sign this citation, I do so. Well after I got here at Bragg, turns out its a court hearing which I was not even made aware of. The officer stated that if i wanted to argue the citation, i could go to the court hearing, not tellin me that he was actually giving me a court summoning.

So all in all, i plan on fightin this. Officer was very unprofessional. I believe he acted the way he did because Im younger and my car is sporty looking. I was nothing but respectful to him. To me, its a sorry ass way to fill his quota for the day.

Any1 have any thoughts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
my first thoughts are to familiarize your self with all the regs concerning your alleged infractions.
As for the rest, write down all details that you can think of about your interactions with the officer, especially if you are going to court.

the last bit about being respectful, i have the same problem. I am never a jerk to cops, always very polite, and yet i never get warnings, they always ding me for everything that they can get me for (which means they always add on a tinted window ticket).
o well, i guess he was having a bad day (i've had a few myself)

·
your killing my fun
3,090 Posts
they do have a sign that says that radar detectors are illegal posted as soon as you enter the state. you could always say you didnt know cause you are from out of state but the ticket can go anyway depending on the judge id say go in uniform they may take it easier on you i got out of a ticket today cause i was in uniform.

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
I got pulled over when I was stationed in Texas for doing 85 in a 70! lol, yep, wasn't getting out of that one, military or not! To make things worse, I was driving up to Norman, OK to watch the Red River Shootout of Oklahoma VS Texas, therefore I was wearing my Sooner shirt, boomer sooner hat, i had an upside down longhorn on my back glass, and drinking from my mug which said "OK SOONERS! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS". The trooper stepped out of the car and he was this big homeboy texan with his hat down over his eyes and walking up to my car with that "yeah, you're f'd" kind of look. It didn't end well!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
You didn't say- did he give the detector back to you? They used to keep them.

Radar detectors have been illegal in va for at least 35 years that I know of. If you fight this, what will be your defense? The cop's conduct has nothing to do with it. IMO, the best thing to do now is to pay the fine and to hell with it. Do they consider this a moving violation?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its an equipment infraction. Yea he gave me the radar back. Yea my parents told me there were signs and everything when i got into Virginia, but i wasnt paying any attention. I agree, i dont have much an defense, but honestly, the way the officer projected himself to me makes me wanna see if i cant dodge this. I have yet to run into trouble with the law and i dont plan on gettin screwed over this small ass shit. No i wont use the military as a hope to get out of it, maybe the DA will factor it in. I already have the incident memorized...pay attention to details... We'll see what strings i can pull.

·
your killing my fun
3,090 Posts
theres roads like that in de where a road thats 65 drops to 50 then goes back to 65 its a speed trap setup intentionally by milford cops

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
yea squirrels right...but as far as I know most of VA if not all of VA the highest ive seen is 55.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
IIRC the speed limit on 81 is 65.

Don't mean to slam on you or anything but I don't see how you are gonna fight this and win. There are signs everywhere in VA that mention that radar detectors are illegal there.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
fight the law on the grounds that its bull poop since virginia was bribed by geico in to making it a law
that way geico could raise rates

·
Registered
0 Posts
IIRC the speed limit on 81 is 65.

Don't mean to slam on you or anything but I don't see how you are gonna fight this and win. There are signs everywhere in VA that mention that radar detectors are illegal there.

Good luck.
Illegal? I've never seen any signs? [hihi]

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea i don't really travel much, im 19. I mean yea the officer doesnt gives a rat ass, but know, i feel like a warning would of sufficed. O well, ill either just see what options i got for trying to slide away from this or ill just bit the bullet. I honestly did not see a sign even if thats hard for some of you to believe.

·
Hon-duh Rider
1,347 Posts
My advice.. as i was pulled over years ago for the same thing..

Just pay the $90 ticket and forget the rest.

Just my .02

1 - 15 of 15 Posts