Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to run an intercooler and make piping to fit the throttle body would that lower my temps with my jrsc bbk? Can it be done?

·
Registered
523 Posts
i dont think the JRSC can be intercooled. Only thing you can do is water/meth injection.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Ravage said:
i dont think the JRSC can be intercooled. Only thing you can do is water/meth injection.
wat he said, unfortanuely, i dont think you will be able to do that, procahrgers yes, but differente set up

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont see why it wouldnt work. Everyone just says you cant do it. My friend works at AWE tuning(Very known audi/vw tuner) and his job is intercooler piping and design and he thinks we can work something out.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
The manifold bolts right to the engine with VERY short runners, there is no room to put one on. With a cent. blower like a PC its easy, works like a turbo, but the JRSC bolts right to the motor, where would you place the cooler body?? It would have to go between the engine and firewall. Not really any space left. The PW is built inside the plenum casting from the start.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The JRSC is right on the TB....I don't see how it could work. If you figure it out the props to you.

·
Registered
523 Posts
no pun intended!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
wow viney......fast post

·
Registered
177 Posts
i think he wants to have a sort of cold air intake that sucks through a front mount intercooler. i'm not sure if this works but i have seen it done before.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I don't think that would help that much. The air will still be heated by the SC. The point of a intercooler is to cool off the heated air from the SC or Turbo. Coolong the air before it enters the SC would'nt help but maybe a few degrees if that.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
craigjturner said:
i think he wants to have a sort of cold air intake that sucks through a front mount intercooler. i'm not sure if this works but i have seen it done before.
Thats excatly what I want to do. My buddy has done tests on this and its good for up to 30 degress colder air. It can't hurt right

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
^^^I have seen a cold air intake on here that looks like a FMIC....with the "vacume" power of a JRSC, it would probably be worth it to try it.........

I will try to find a link to it.....

·
Registered
714 Posts
Not sure if the air cooled by the FMIC will be colder than the ambient air .
As stated above FMIC's are cooling the air AFTER it's pressure is raised...
because raising the PSI also raises air temp above the ambient temp
of the air before it comes into the charger.
You are thinking to cool the air BEFORE the pressure is raised...and an FMIC is not going to make it cooler than the air that is cooling it. You'll need to find another method.

Secondly a CAi while bring in colder ambient air is a long straw...most of the roots style chargers i've see use a short intake...they don't like to suck long ones[:D] Another intended pun[rolleyes]

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SVTF4243 said:
Not sure if the air cooled by the FMIC will be colder than the ambient air .
As stated above FMIC's are cooling the air AFTER it's pressure is raised...
because raising the PSI also raises air temp above the ambient temp
of the air before it comes into the charger.
You are thinking to cool the air BEFORE the pressure is raised...and an FMIC is not going to make it cooler than the air that is cooling it. You'll need to find another method.

Secondly a CAi while bring in colder ambient air is a long straw...most of the roots style chargers i've see use a short intake...they don't like to suck long ones[:D] Another intended pun[rolleyes]
Yes I know all of this but the intercooled air will be colder than the air my hypnotic short ram will be getting. Especially on these hot summer days when it heat soaks.

·
Registered
523 Posts
So let me get this straight. Your gonna have a FMIC....one side will have a pipe w/ a filter on it, the other side will have a pipe that goes to the SC?

Give it a try and let us know how it works. I don't really thinks its gonna do but a couple degrees tho. Make sure you data log it before and after. I wana see th results.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Personally, if I had the JRSC BBK, I'd use a 25 shot of nitrous just to cool the intake temps when needed.

·
Registered
714 Posts
pinacup7 said:
Yes I know all of this but the intercooled air will be colder than the air my hypnotic short ram will be getting. Especially on these hot summer days when it heat soaks.
If you logic is correct, then all of us should have an FMIC ...boost or not.

May be a simple solution is to stick a CAI on instead of the short ram. Then you will get the cooler air less restriction and less $$$.

Either way we all can benefit from your experiment, let us know how it turns out

Best of luck[thumb]

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
What you are proposing can have a slight effect, but not much as the air isn't that hot already. I would have to look up the calculation but as the air is compressed it makes heat and for every 17 degrees ( if I remember right ) you can drop the temp you get 1 HP, also you don't have to dial the timing back and can " keep " the HP you already have. The air you are cooling isn't that hot already, now, drawing cool air from outside the car or in a wheel well or the front of the car is a great idea. Much better than a short ram under the hood It will keep the IAT lower and thats good. But to "cool" the incoming air is going to do very little. as after you cool it ; it will be reheated by the compression of the blower.
If you have a freebie cooler laying around, go for it, it won't hurt anything and you might just like the look of one in the grill. Let us know how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts