Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had an engine replacement this past fall due to the oil system and other failures with the 1.0 ecoboost motor in my 2016 focus. My car has 116k miles on it from my daily work commute. It seems to run fine after the engine replacement. Recently, I have noticed that when I start the car I can hear a fan kick on after about a minute. At first I thought it was the radiator fan, but that wasn't the case. It turns out that its the intercooler fan and it is staying running while the engine is running. It recently has become very cold where I live in the midwest, and don't know if this is an active grille shutter issue or some temperature sensor that may be malfunctioning. There is no check engine light and my local mechanic cannot find a fault. I'm not sure if its normal for the intercooler fan to do this, but am looking for reasonable input as to how to go about troubleshooting this. The dealership I have taken to the car to the last time is booked a month out. So, I am basically wanting to get this resolved, in case this a part of another bigger problem that may be occurring. Any thoughts and suggestions are appreaciated. Thanks.

Regards.

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
2,036 Posts
First, a CEL(check engine light) is NOT necessary or even typical for the car to be registering a trouble code. The CEL only comes on when there's a more severe powertrain issue. Codes will register but have to be scanned. Any auto parts store can do this for free.
I would suspect if the grill shutters aren't opening then the intercooler fan would kick on and run most or all of the time since little to no airflow would be getting to the intercooler. However, if it comes on after only a minute when it's quite cold out that seems to be pointing to something else though I guess it could still be the shutters if there's a default when they malfunction.
I would also suspect an air charge temperature sensor could be malfunctioning assuming that's how it determines when to turn it on/off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts