Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my car, every time I locked my car after getting out the only indication I got was hearing the subtle "click" of the locks. After updating MFT to the 2.11 version, the horn chirps every time I lock the doors. To clarify, it didn't do it all the time when it first started doing it - it started off every other time and now does it consistently. I really don't want this, especially considering I come and go at all hours of the night and don't want to wake my neighbors.

I rarely use the key fob, and usually just put the back of my hand up to the door handle to lock the doors. But regardless of the method I use, I now get the horn chirp whereas I didn't before.

There's nothing in the manual about this (at least to my eyes), and the dealership told me all new Foci honk their horns when you lock the doors and it can't be shut off.

Can anyone else confirm this? Does everyone else's horn chirp whenever they lock the doors?

Tony

·
Registered
747 Posts
only chirps if i hit it twice on the door or the fob, i have 2.11 installed from the factory

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
only chirps if i hit it twice on the door or the fob, i have 2.11 installed from the factory
ditto - except 2.11 dealer installed.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
When I bought my car, every time I locked my car after getting out the only indication I got was hearing the subtle "click" of the locks. After updating MFT to the 2.11 version, the horn chirps every time I lock the doors. To clarify, it didn't do it all the time when it first started doing it - it started off every other time and now does it consistently. I really don't want this, especially considering I come and go at all hours of the night and don't want to wake my neighbors.

I rarely use the key fob, and usually just put the back of my hand up to the door handle to lock the doors. But regardless of the method I use, I now get the horn chirp whereas I didn't before.

There's nothing in the manual about this (at least to my eyes), and the dealership told me all new Foci honk their horns when you lock the doors and it can't be shut off.

Can anyone else confirm this? Does everyone else's horn chirp whenever they lock the doors?

Tony
The horn should not chirp unless you are trying to lock the car when it is already locked.

Have you tried using your fingertip rather than the back of your hand? What happens if you use the key fob?

·
Registered
59 Posts
same for me only when I hit the lock key button twice. If you only hit it once it will just click.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Interesting that this changed after the v2.11 update. It might be coincidental - unless you think they're controlled by the same software?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I updated to 2.11 myself and mine does not chirp unless I press my fob or the outside of the handle twice.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Seems like the op's dealer is just giving the op the run around.
"they all do that' is a scam.
They do not want to 'fix' it because it is a money loser fix. They screwed up, and so have to fix it for free. Clearly they do not want to be bothered to do that.
The thing you have to do is get the Ford rep involved.
The problem you have is an annoying one. The dealer's tech guy is at fault. They owe you a fix.

·
Registered
683 Posts
^^ ditto, same here ... interesting.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Seems like the op's dealer is just giving the op the run around.
"they all do that' is a scam.
They do not want to 'fix' it because it is a money loser fix. They screwed up, and so have to fix it for free. Clearly they do not want to be bothered to do that.
The thing you have to do is get the Ford rep involved.
The problem you have is an annoying one. The dealer's tech guy is at fault. They owe you a fix.
You must of had a bad experience so far with your focus and/or the dealer? So negative. My dealer experience has been better with Ford (repeatedly), than Honda or Nissan, or Autoway or any sort.

Mine acts the same as the others with 2.11 factory and FOB. I think I'm just getting used to the FOB. Seems to work the way it should to me.
Build date 8/11.

I'm really diggin' my ride [woot]

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Evidently, when they did a master reset (MFT was completely frozen) it fixed the problem. How weird is that? It's nice to know that MFT, or the innards involved with MFT, has it's fingers in everything. Next thing you know when you get a flat tire it will be somehow related to your car's computer.

Tony

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The horn should not chirp unless you are trying to lock the car when it is already locked.

Have you tried using your fingertip rather than the back of your hand? What happens if you use the key fob?
It was doing it whether I used my fingertips, back of the hand, palm, or even the fob. Evidently is was all tied into issues with MFT. [limp]

I usually use the back of my hand because it's easier for me and seems to be the most consistent. The palm or fingertips will oftentimes not even register so I have to stand there trying all these weird hand positions just to lock the door. I suppose I could use the fob, but it just seems so much cooler to touch the handle, you know?

Tony

·
Registered
74 Posts

Evidently, when they did a master reset (MFT was completely frozen) it fixed the problem. How weird is that? It's nice to know that MFT, or the innards involved with MFT, has it's fingers in everything. Next thing you know when you get a flat tire it will be somehow related to your car's computer.

Tony
That's funny. My wife's 2010 Nissan keeps throwing up the Low Tire Pressure warning even though there's nothing wrong with the tires. Been driving me crazy. It's a sensor issue I'm sure. All new cars have little issues when you are beta testing them the first 36k!

I'm glad they fixed it for you!

[wiggle]

·
Registered
524 Posts

Tony
So MFT was frozen that whole time you were complaining about the door lock chirps? That was a big piece of missing information in your original description of the problem.[whip]

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So MFT was frozen that whole time you were complaining about the door lock chirps? That was a big piece of missing information in your original description of the problem.[whip]
No, the chirps have been happening ever since the 2.11 update. The screen froze just a couple of days ago, which was the reason why I took it to the dealer. The master reset is what is believed to have fixed the chirps.

However, I haven't even gotten the car back yet so as far as I know the problem still exists... Only time will tell.

Tony

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the car back and the problem was solved for about a day, then went back to honking the horn again whenever I lock the doors.

Whatever.

Tony

·
Registered
418 Posts
Maybe there is something wrong with the central locking module.
Get them to plug in to OBD and check for codes logged.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Got the car back and the problem was solved for about a day, then went back to honking the horn again whenever I lock the doors.

Whatever.

Tony
Are you double clicking the lock button on the key fob or just clicking it once? (Just picked up my car yesterday and no issues, when I click it twice obviously it honks. Just wondering what to look out for if mine ever decides to go ahwal too.)

Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 20 of 27 Posts