Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TLDR:
Ford has two part numbers for identical looking IAK Fobs (164-R8092 and 164-R7995), both stamped with the same numbers (FCC ID: M3N5WY8609 and IC: 7812A-5WY8609). It appears that 164-R7995 is the correct part number for the Focus. I believe that only IAK Fobs where the third number starts with CJ5T will work with the Focus.

My story:
For the record, I have a 2013 Focus Titanium.

I'm getting a little frustrated with this Intelligent Access Key for my car and adding this to my long list of things that I wish I knew before buying this car.

As many here have already learned, the car comes with only two IAK Fob's and you cannot program extra IAK Fob's yourself. Both the Focus and the C-Max suffer from this same limitation (possibly more models?). Two keys are not very many.

Ford expects the consumer to pay $175 for an extra key and IAK Fob plus the cost of programming. For two extra keys, that works out to around $400 at the average dealer. To put this in perspective, I paid about $22700 for my Focus. That works out to almost 2% of the purchase price of my vehicle, just to get 2 extra keys. Let me say that again, 2%!!! That percent must be higher for the Focus SE's with the Intelligent Access Key / Push Button Start.

I'm not here to just rant though, I'm hoping to share with others what I have learned.

First, you won't find any meaningful information about your keys online from Ford. Even in the forums here, the Ford reps will push you back to buying the key through the dealer. They even put unusable instructions on their website for programming extra IAK Fobs yourself.

You will find plenty of people willing to sell you new, used, 'refurbished', ... Fobs online. Many will claim that the IAK Fobs are all the same, the only difference being the spare key blade or the pictures on the buttons. Most online searches for an extra IAK Fob for my Focus yielded Ford P/N: 164-R8092. Many didn't even identify the part number or identified it only by the FCC ID number. This is not the correct IAK Fob for my Focus.

After much research, I found the correct part number to allegedly be 164-R7995.

You can see both part numbers for identical looking IAK Fobs listed on page 9 of this catalog here
http://www.idkeyco.com/pdf/flm_catalog.pdf
Note that you cannot order directly from this company.

Something really strange is that both of these IAK Fobs will have the same FCC ID: M3N5WY8609 and IC: 7812A-5WY8609 marked on them. The difference seems to be in the 80-bit encryption key built into the different IAK Fob's.

I don't know if this is just mine or all Focus's, but apparently my 80-bit encryption key is not the normal run of the mill encryption key. My Focus will not accept a 164-R8092 IAK Fob. In fact, the dealer software doesn't check for this, but rather when attempting to add an 164-R8092 IAK Fob, it locks up the car's computer potentially bricking it. Due to the limited information and instructions for the technician, the issue is not obvious to the technician. My dealer has tried twice to add the IAK Fobs I have bought from an online dealer. I sent them back for replacement after the first try, only to have the same thing happen the second time.

I'm now in the position of authorizing the some $400 in costs for the dealer to order two new IAK Fobs and program them for me. As of right now, they don't know how long it will take to get them as they are non-stock items, but I will post an update after they try again with the IAK Fob's they ordered.

My current theory going forward is that when buying an IAK Fob online, make sure that third number starts with CJ5T (NOT B4T4). I believe that there are multiple IAK Fob part numbers that are functionally equivalent as they have to change the numbers reflect differences like the button images, unfortunately, not all of them are functionally equivalent.

To help make this thread of further value to the community, I would like to hear if anyone has a Focus IAK Fob where the third number doesn't start with CJ5T,
OR
they have added a third IAK Fob that they bought online where the third number starts with B4T4. That could mean that my conclusion is not sound and more research is needed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For anyone interested, I finally got two more IAK Fob's programmed for my Focus, for a total of four keys (which is the max for Ford Vehicles with Intelligent Access Keys).

I ordered mine from here
http://www.yourkeylessremote.com/products?make=Ford&model=Focus&year=2013
The website says $101.25, but I called their 815-675-0404 number and they sold me two keys shipped for $75 each. These were used keys, but they came with a new battery and an uncut spare key blade. Both keys had CJ5T-15K1601-Dx stamped for the third number.

Another bonus was that the local dealer (Wickstrom Ford) didn't charge me for programming/cutting the keys. They originally quoted only $25 for programming the new IAK Fobs. They apologized for the previous confusion/frustration with my keys which I thought was pretty cool on their part. They definitely won me back.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For anyone interested, I finally got two more IAK Fob's programmed for my Focus, for a total of four keys (which is the max for Ford Vehicles with Intelligent Access Keys).

I ordered mine from here
http://www.yourkeylessremote.com/products?make=Ford&model=Focus&year=2013
The website says $101.25, but I called their 815-675-0404 number and they sold me two keys shipped for $75 each. These were used keys, but they came with a new battery and an uncut spare key blade. Both keys had CJ5T-15K1601-Dx stamped for the third number.

Another bonus was that the local dealer (Wickstrom Ford) didn't charge me for programming/cutting the keys. They originally quoted only $25 for programming the new IAK Fobs. They apologized for the previous confusion/frustration with my keys which I thought was pretty cool on their part. They definitely won me back.
Will these work for a 2014 Focus SE with IA and My Key?

·
Registered
472 Posts
$400 for 2 keys is silly, I can see $50 each with a nominal fee if they HAVE to program them but YIKES! Thankfully 2 keys are enough for me as I am the only driver.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will these work for a 2014 Focus SE with IA and My Key?
I believe this is the same key for 2014 Focus's, but if you want to really be sure, call up any Ford Dealer, ask for the parts department, and ask for the IAK Part Number based on your VIN. If they won't tell you, call another one, any Ford Dealer in the nation can lookup the part number for you. It's what I had to do in order to realize that there were two part numbers. Once I had the correct part number, googling by my part number is what yielded more reliable results.

Also, before you buy, I recommend calling around and getting a quote to program the new IAK Fobs. Some dealers will refuse unless you buy from them. Don't forget to ask about the cost of cutting the new key blades.

You can go through a Locksmith, but I would be hesitant to go that route. These new cars use a CAN bus for all the modules to communicate. I believe that they are very finicky and easy to lock up. A locksmith may not have the experience needed to avoid bricking the BCM. If the locksmith bricks the BCM, they probably don't have the IDS Functionality to recover the BCM. If the BCM is bricked, the car cannot be started.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I believe this is the same key for 2014 Focus's, but if you want to really be sure, call up any Ford Dealer, ask for the parts department, and ask for the IAK Part Number based on your VIN. If they won't tell you, call another one, any Ford Dealer in the nation can lookup the part number for you. It's what I had to do in order to realize that there were two part numbers. Once I had the correct part number, googling by my part number is what yielded more reliable results.

Also, before you buy, I recommend calling around and getting a quote to program the new IAK Fobs. Some dealers will refuse unless you buy from them. Don't forget to ask about the cost of cutting the new key blades.

You can go through a Locksmith, but I would be hesitant to go that route. These new cars use a CAN bus for all the modules to communicate. I believe that they are very finicky and easy to lock up. A locksmith may not have the experience needed to avoid bricking the BCM. If the locksmith bricks the BCM, they probably don't have the IDS Functionality to recover the BCM. If the BCM is bricked, the car cannot be started.
I will take your advice and do just that and call the Ford deal and get the IAK key number based on my vin.
Thank you!

·
Registered
80 Posts

Here is the information for my keys:
FCC ID: OUCD6000022
IC # 850K-D6000022 CM5A15K601-AA
Frequency 315 mhz
Chip ID Texas ID 4D 63 80 BIT
Ford Part # 164-R8046

Not sure which is the IAK part no?

Will the replacements you ordered work for this car?
If you don't know that's okay.
Thank you

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe your key is referred to as an Intelligent Keyhead Transmitter (as opposed to Intelligent Access Key).

I believe you can program that key yourself.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/aftermarket-data/docs/on-board-programming/On Board Programming 14.pdf

There are also threads in here with the instructions and comments, I would definitely search for threads that discuss programming the IKT yourself.

Before ordering from yourkeylessremote.com (or anyone else), I would call around for prices on cutting the keys for you. For the dealer, you only need to deal with the parts department. When you call, ask how much if you buy their key, and how much for them to cut a key that you bring in. The parts dept at the dealer doesn't need any existing keys to cut them, they use a ford database to get the details and a little CNC machine to cut the key. Call all parts departments within reasonable driving distance as the prices definitely vary from dealer to dealer.

If the dealer is cheap enough, it may not be worth the risk of ordering from a website. Make sure you take into account the cost to get the keys cut before ordering from a website.

Good Luck.

In the end, you will have to decide

·
Registered
80 Posts
I believe your key is referred to as an Intelligent Keyhead Transmitter (as opposed to Intelligent Access Key).

I believe you can program that key yourself.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/aftermarket-data/docs/on-board-programming/On Board Programming 14.pdf

There are also threads in here with the instructions and comments, I would definitely search for threads that discuss programming the IKT yourself.

Before ordering from yourkeylessremote.com (or anyone else), I would call around for prices on cutting the keys for you. For the dealer, you only need to deal with the parts department. When you call, ask how much if you buy their key, and how much for them to cut a key that you bring in. The parts dept at the dealer doesn't need any existing keys to cut them, they use a ford database to get the details and a little CNC machine to cut the key. Call all parts departments within reasonable driving distance as the prices definitely vary from dealer to dealer.

If the dealer is cheap enough, it may not be worth the risk of ordering from a website. Make sure you take into account the cost to get the keys cut before ordering from a website.

Good Luck.

In the end, you will have to decide
Thanks for the info. I did get information regarding the yourkeylessremote and they do not have the remote to work with this type of key.
I found an ebay seller from China that deals strictly in Remotes and he has one that will work. There are forum members who have purchased the remote I need and had good luck with it. I found a locksmith that cut one of the forum members high security keys for one of these remotes and only charged $10.00
That locksmith is an hour away from me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Works with Intelligent Keyhead Transmitter http://www.ebay.com/itm/360968319964

Googling your part number also found this site for $39.99.
http://www.ekeyfobs.com/ford-4-button-ikt-keyless-entry-remote-key-fob-164-r8046.html

I know that if a company is in the US, it doesn't guarantee better service, but you have a better chance at getting a US company to replace a defective key than a Chinese company.

I do see the one you are looking at has the switchblade style which is probably easier on the pocket.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Googling your part number also found this site for $39.99.
http://www.ekeyfobs.com/ford-4-button-ikt-keyless-entry-remote-key-fob-164-r8046.html

I know that if a company is in the US, it doesn't guarantee better service, but you have a better chance at getting a US company to replace a defective key than a Chinese company.

I do see the one you are looking at has the switchblade style which is probably easier on the pocket.
That's like mine for sure. I am going after the Chinese seller as I want the folding key. This Chinese seller has an excellent track record in dealing with problems. You can read about him in this thread as the members deal with him. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266080

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank U so much for this info... I was experiencing the same issues here in the Tampa Bay Area... Some dealers did not even know what in IAK was/is... That is what it is termed in the owner's manual...

You have saved me some headaches and some $$$..

BTY, The dealers here want $69 to program, and that is IAK's bought from them... I have not inquired about bringing in my own... Wish me luck...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad I can help. I'm hoping that by having posted the right part numbers (along with what's stamped on the IAK's) it will be easier for people to find the right IAK without paying $170 to the dealer.

As more vehicles show up in local junk yards, these keys will start becoming easier to find used, but knowing that you have the right one is a huge headache.

I still stand by my recommendation for now to use a dealer to program due to how easy it is to lock up the BCM.

Good Luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts