Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
it's a good job of fiberglassing, but that is not a good place to mount them

It puts the tweeter too close to you, thus making the sound come from one side only.

It is much better in the Focus (small compact car), to put them in the a-pillars.

In the a-pillars with a little bit of time alignment, makes for a really good soundstage.

I cut a hole just big enough to squeeze the tweeters in and hold, but fiberglassing would be best.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
you want direction on those tweeters I would think......so pointing towards you like he posted would sound best.....unless you are running eleventybillion watts to them.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Always thought about doin' that. Nice read

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I have my tweeters mounted in that location.

Focusincali is right. The tweeter needs to be time-adjusted.
Other than that, the tweeter really hurts my ears, so I have my EQ adjusted accordingly... or the best I'm able to make it sound.

Would I install it in the same location, if I had a chance to do it all over?
...Maybe... If I wanted a Quick and easy Install. Using a door-hole cutter, made installation like 10 minutes.

Best Location in my opinion, is 6" from the Top of the A-Pillar.
I've seen it done on a UK member, who installed a carPuter along with ton's of other goodies in his focus

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I did it in my wifes focus and turned out really nice. Wish i had some pics but never took any of that part.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
as far as pointing direction, it really depends on the tweeter and the off-axis response, and how close it is to the glass and/or dash; ie reflections

right now, my 2 tweeters are really acting like 4 tweeters
look at the reflection of the tweeter in the glass, that is like an extra tweeter pointed directly at you

the downside is the time alignment difference between the real and the reflected tweeter. the current location worked the best for me.... or shall I say it was the best compromise without fiberglassing

from many competitors, the best 2-way setup is with a-pillar tweeters pointing across to each other as mine are, but mounted 2" above the highest point in the dash. ****

They also wire the tweeters out of phase. (switch the pos and neg wires)
this also depends if both mids are in phase.

Time, double-sided tape, and experimenting are your friends.

I will either use the same position, or try the higher point 2" above the HUD curve, for my next install.

it is also highly recommended to add a dash mat to reduce reflections. For my next SQ setup, I'll be considering this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mounting Tweeters in the mirror is fine if you can aim them properly but aiming at you head will not work, no matter how much power you are sending them.

If you can mount them closer to the windshield it will help with proper imaging and creat the correct sound stage.

Great glassing job. Deffinitely an A+!

·
Registered
800 Posts
i would buy some tweets but im so affraid of takeing my door pannel off i dont want to f it up, is it very hard at all to do if not could somone please post step by step pics if its not hard i will do it thanks

peace
knox

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I put tweeters in my mirror cover...
it could be the tweeters themselves, but they are loud, and way over-power the mids... If I were to do it over, I would move them on the A-pillar...

·
Registered
92 Posts
SVTZX503-very nice!

The a-pillar is far superior to any location on the door. Moving the tweeters further away from the driver's listening position helps to equalize the path lengths, which helps your brain in recreating a more accurate representation of the recording. That is, for traditional stereo recording that is intended to capture something as it is heard live.

I have mine located on the a-pillars right at dash level. I have not tried raising them any, but I will now.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
here's mine.....i did not install.......I am cool with them being out a little....I didn't want them hacking the shit out of the A-Pillars anyways....I still have the internal brackets, so I could do a flush install if I wanted to......

Sounds GREAT!

(JBL GT 6X8 Components up front)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
i did mine a little diffrent heres some pics
and i might take them apart and paint them blue :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts