Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, After reading the things about the whole 150,000 mile air intake system we have kinda pisses me off... I like playing with my car and for any excuse possible, There trying to take that from us[:(] ... soooo wherte can I do a lil internet window shopping for an intake for my 03 ???

Thanks, John[thumb]

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I can vouch for the marcy, it is sweet.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I can vouch for the FocusSport! So very nice~

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Just keep in mind what the resident PZEV expert had to say about intakes.

deepwater said:
For PZEV enthusiasts,

For all of you considering aftermarket filters for the PZEV, two important things to consider.

1) The PZEV filter is designed to be a lifetime component. While the aftermarket filters may offer a restriction advantage, you should consider that you'll be replacing a non-serviceable component with one that requires either maintenance or replacement.

2) Even more important, the California PZEV emissions mandate includes strict requirements for both tailpipe AND evaporative emissions. The evaporative emissions component makes the air intake system an emissions component according to CARB and Federal standards. The warranty on any of the other emissions related components could be voided, and of course if the vehicles were ever audited for emissions, they would certainly fail both tailpipe and evaporative.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yes, I had a look up close at this 'non-servicable component' last night and am extremely happy it is now GONE. I may have to put it back on in 4 years to smog it, but I'll probably screw it in with 1 screw just for the test.

·
Registered
344 Posts
EGGYOLK:
how has the performance changed now that you added the intake? i live in california, too, just don't want to hassle with the smog issue, but i would like to know what could be done...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the Marcy Sport the first one installed on a mtx way back last summer and I can tell you the power increase was really great. I hate the thought of going through the hassle of reconverting it to stock for smog certivication but thats years away and if I must I must I wish I could find an exhaust that was 100 percent smog legal. I really would like the borla system + the ad I saw said 50 state legal but I dont think it retains both cats + Im guessing it would have to to pass smog. Now that my car has almost all svt suspension it feels like it could use a few more hp- I hope something comes along.

·
Registered
847 Posts
jeremy -

I have added intakes to cars in the past but this is the first intake where you can feel the car kick you in the pants harder, the other ones just make a lot of noise and add a little pull on the freeway.

You won't have a smog hassle for at least 4 years, I'm keeping my stocker bagged up in case I need to put it on for a visual test, which I doubt I will.

·
Registered
28 Posts
jeremy said:
eggyolk-
thanks for your testimony, much appreciated.
Im also in CA and all I have to say is F*UCK CARB!![?|] [8D] I have the focussport intake and exhaust installed and as mentioned you can FEEL these mods! the other night I went for a cruise and it was cold as hell and when I stepped on the throttle...lets just say my neck hurts and it scared the crap outta me! lol..If your willing to drive to palm springs Ill give ya a ride ;-)

·
Registered
344 Posts
i just got my pzev after thanksgiving - the other concern of mine besides ca smog requirements is the factory warranty, i do not want to void it. i am very impressed with the pzev as is, stock. i can only grin a silly smile and drool when i consider that it can only get better!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well as far as the warranty goes, you won't void the whole thing, and for them to deny you warranty service on a covered part they have to prove what you did actually hurt the car.

I feel safe enough with an intake and my FS exhaust which is shipping right now, if they can prove my engine failed because it breathed better than the stock intake then I would like to see it. The stock intake itself is a PZEV part, meaning it's job is to trap evaporative emissions while the car is off, not trapping those emissions is not going to hurt anything but good old mother earth, but she owes me a few for the recycling idea that was stolen from me and my team at college, but I digress.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts