Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'm really new to this. I just bought a 2005 Cloud 9 Focus about a month ago, and today I put my frist aftermarket *thing* on it, Sylvania Cool Blue Halogen's. I'm kinda looking to add a Cold Air Intake, I really wanted to know what's good, and what's worked for you? I believe it's a Duratec 2.0

Thanks for all the input!

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
I've never had problems with the rain, just have to clean the filter more often. if you get alot of rain you could always get a bypass filter just to be safe[thumb]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
dbthor14 said:
dont go with the aem cai b/c then everytime it rains u are skrewed
or get it because i had mind on for over a year and never had a single problem.

·
Registered
156 Posts
well you guys must get like one inch of rain the whole year b/c everytime it rains it gets wet and u are suckin water, ur goin to blow an engine

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have an AEM Cai in my 00 zx3 and it was the first thing i put on my car, 3 years later and 50000 miles without a bypass still running strong. I have never had a problem running through water all it did was bog down for a few seconds and im talking about a foot of water. Plus it also makes the car sound so much better.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Focusedaddiction,

AFAIK, there is no bypass available for the Duratec.

Dbthor14,

You stated "b/c everytime it rains it gets wet and u are suckin water, ur goin to blow an engine."

This sounds very odd to me. Everything I have read indicates you must completely submerge your intake in order to hydrolock.

Do you have ANY evidence simply driving around in the rain leading to a blown engine?

Spreading unfounded fears and/or urban myths here on the forums is of little help to other readers.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ya, to create a vacuum strong enough to suck up the kind of water needed to hydrolock your car, the pipe needs to be submerged. Im sure you could get some water vapor up there, which isnt good, but its not gonna hydrolock it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
well ericr i am just looking out for new focus and performance people that get told it is a very good product which it is but i think it is only good when it is dry, not when it gets wet. b/c even a little water is not good.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
or get steeda, and eliminate hydrolock, and still get 6whp

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
First off you guys need to realize that this is DURATEC chat, not Zetec chat. Almost all of the Duratec intakes are full intakes. I've got a Iceman cold air intake on my 05 ST and have never had any problems with rain.

·
Registered
31 Posts
dbthor14 said:
well you guys must get like one inch of rain the whole year b/c everytime it rains it gets wet and u are suckin water, ur goin to blow an engine
Well considering I'm out here in So Calif. even though we got alot of rain last winter, rain to me is not aproblem. The AEM's proformance to me is great, glad I went that way.[thumb]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Lil_RedZX3 said:
First off you guys need to realize that this is DURATEC chat, not Zetec chat...
Good point. Will Zetec drivers PLEASE stop posting in the duratec forum! It makes it very difficult to sift through and pick out relevant information. Thank you for your cooperation. [rolleyes]

·
Registered
440 Posts
ok i have the focus sport cai and where is it located you wont blow your motor enless you drive threw like 1-1.5 feet of water. ive had it a year and no problems. but if your scared of hydroblocking get the steeda SRI. and ive never heard a story of a blown motor cuz of water so. i would personily go with the focus sport or steeda. i dont know much about the AEM and k + n is proven to let the most ammount of dust in. the ITG filter for the focus sport cant be beaten. but if your scared to hydroblocking go with the steeda. you must ask these questions to people that know a thing or to and stop asking rookies!!!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
2nd_to_none said:
ok i have the focus sport cai and where is it located you wont blow your motor enless you drive threw like 1-1.5 feet of water. ive had it a year and no problems. but if your scared of hydroblocking get the steeda SRI. and ive never heard a story of a blown motor cuz of water so. i would personily go with the focus sport or steeda. i dont know much about the AEM and k + n is proven to let the most ammount of dust in. the ITG filter for the focus sport cant be beaten. but if your scared to hydroblocking go with the steeda. you must ask these questions to people that know a thing or to and stop asking rookies!!!
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79129

·
Registered
440 Posts
dang i feel stupied now!!! thanks. but with that just go with the steeda SRI if your worried about that. thats my $.02

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got an AEM CAI. No bypass valve. No problems up to date. Cost a little bit when I bought it. Worth it though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts