Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I love this car but it seems like the intake is realy restrictive should I or could I put an after market intake on it it is a 01 zx3 auto dohc

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
No, the intake is not restrictive. The only change you will get from an aftermarket one is more noise.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Zetec Performance where you can find more threads on intakes.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Drop in k&n will do better than a tube cai/sri. Find an svt intake if you want a better one.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Can someone explain this? How can a stock air box configuration be better flowing that a straight walled tube? I'm baffled by it.
ford has their system set up to play with the turbulence.... cai/sri are a straight shot.... that's why many headers are not one straight shot anymore, a lot of them twist.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I know on the Duratec cars Mazda Engineers worked the resonators , or well every piece of the intake to get the smoothest air and most amount of airflow for them. That's why most of the newer foci drive like a fat pig when you mod them, because your inbalencing all of the engineering for some toothless Joe at a intake factory bending a pipe that fits your car.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
I know on the Duratec cars Mazda Engineers worked the resonators , or well every piece of the intake to get the smoothest air and most amount of airflow for them. That's why most of the newer foci drive like a fat pig when you mod them, because your inbalencing all of the engineering for some toothless Joe at a intake factory bending a pipe that fits your car.
eh all coompanies now

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
LOLz^^ i hear ya but they did. youre next best bet to stock w/ k&n is an svt intake.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Intake changes can sometimes help in certain conditions (like high rpm WOT) but on the whole most of the stock ones are better with a good filter across the operating range.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well they sure don't look like an engineered piece of plastic.
It helps to really think about WHY things are done the way they are.

The usual answer to 99% of the questions about why engineers make something on a car a certain way is COST. Either it costs less to make it or it costs less to install it on the assembly line. However, on a car like the Focus there's another factor: fuel economy. Ford needed the Focus to return the best mpg numbers possible for CAFE, i.e. to offset the horrid mpg numbers for all the trucks and SUVs they sell. So, the engine has to be extremely efficient.

The stock airbox is certainly not simple. It uses a lot of material and takes up a lot of space. A simple tube and a small filter would be much easier to make, and thus cheaper. However, as noted earlier getting the most useful intake charge is the goal. Ford engineers may have spent months or more working on finding just the right intake setup to achieve the best results. A guy in a shop in Podunk, USA who bends and cuts aluminum tube and clamps a cone filter on the end has done zero homework to figure out if he's actually making something better. His only interest is selling intake kits to kids wanting some shiny bling under their hood and the perception of power from a louder intake.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Usually but not always.

One would be amazed if they knew how much time and money the OEMs put into something as simple as airbox volume after the filter. That and the duct volume reflect greatly on how the entire system resonates at lower rpm to make or break torque vs. induction noise there. Why that dumb little plastic box is snapped onto the driver side of the airbox on earlier models.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I think you missed everything posted above about how intakes are poorly designed and usually don't offer a power gain. Smooth? You think Ford makes it rough if they didn't have to, nah it's all for a reason, and I can guarantee that the stock air box has a smoother airflow then those pipes.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
That post is also from 2004 when intakes were hot shit from fast and the furious.

Even when people say dyno data or it gained horsepower, it usually gains this horsepower in peaks, while losing it elsewhere, so your really just getting a peaky dyno curve. Peaky can cause inconsistent times when racing too and that's not enough to back my ass up. If you want power you have to forcefeed or open up the motor, I can bring you into both options for not much more then 150$ more than an intake.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts