Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into buying an intake for my svt. Originally I was thinking about an AEM CAI but have heard of them causing some cold start and stalling problems. So I was wondering if the volant intake be used on the svt if you don't use the section of the intake going between the MAF and TB that it comes with. If that wouldnt work, what is a good option for a CAI?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I have a AEM CAI and I dont have any problems with cold start and stalling.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
hmm ive never heard of problesm with the AEM CAI but if u say so

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had thought I had read about people having some problems with the AEM on this site so I just wanted to ask around before I ordered one

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Where can u get a CAI for the svt for cheap??

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
250 isnt all that cheap, and yes there are ppl who have claimed to have this problem, cant say iv ever witnessed it though

·
Registered
990 Posts
aem

its a bad design. im awaiting my new steeda to replace it. it sucks enough oil at high rpm's to make the mass air and tp puke. i know too well. twice this year it ruined a race weekend for me. the placement of the vacuum hose means it sucks oil thru your tp and maff. even with me making a catch can w/k&n filter its been a problem. also water and dirt ingestion. there is a long thread over in the svt forum on fj. check it out. btw, i know of one that will be for sale cheap soon. mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
garyk, after looking at the thread on fj I think I'll stay away from the aem, looks like way too much of a pain to deal with.

·
Registered
990 Posts
aem

yes, i only bought mine because at the time of purchase it was the only one available. there's nothing quite like towing the car 5 hours to a track and the aem causing me enough problems to cause me to have to load car back up. i was hot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do you know if the volant intake will work with the svt? The only one I've seen looks like its for the standard ztec not the svt. I'm new to the focus so I'm not sure what parts will work with the different engin setups.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
When I purchased mine it was the only CAI available at the time. I've not had any problems, but I dont road race like you. I've heard about the Steeda, how much does it cost?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Does the Steeda show good results ?? Haven't heard to much about it. Anyone else on here got an intake upgrade if so what kind and how good is it? ( I will start working in the next week or two so I will have some money to play around with and my first upgrade will be an exhaust)

·
Registered
990 Posts
steeda

they are quoting 7 hp. mine is finally shipping tomorrow. ill let you know how seat of the pants comparison goes.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Please do i am depending on the feedback i get it will help me make the decision of what brand to buy

·
Registered
990 Posts
forgot

sorry forgot to mention price. steeda is 150 which i thought was reasonable.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
If i get 5+ hp for $150 ill definatly be buying it

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
That does sound like a good deal, please keep us informed on the results and performance.

·
Registered
990 Posts
catch 22

ill probably have it in a day or so but as my life goes, seat of the pants testing is about a month away. the car is going into shop thursday morning for removal of the current cage and install of a new one. i was told 2 weeks, but you know how these things go. im expecting at least 3 weeks. of course by the time i get back from the shop thurs evening the steeda will be on my doorstep!

·
Registered
990 Posts
steeda

well steeda insists i will have my intake by monday. we'll see. old cage is out of car, assembly on new one starts today. so if the stars line up correctly, i should have it back by late next week. and will let you know of my impressions of the steeda intake.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts