Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I know a cold air is my best option but what I really want to know is if theres much of a difference between a steeda short ram intake and just mounting a cone filter in place of the air box like I have here

I dont see why there would be but I have a problem with second guessing myself.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
personally, I have done something on my fofo to what you have done - just mounting a cone filter on the end of the intake pipe - and it worked wonders for me man

no need to spend the big bucks if you don't have to

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, the only reason I ask is if the piping was bigger or something along those lines.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I cant see there being much of a difference... maybe 1 hp or so.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I don't even think that it would equate to 1 hp of difference. Honestly, I think you are better off sticking with this set up, saving the money you would be spending on a "real" cai, and put it towards something else performance wise

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
If you want to change anything i would say put back on the box and snorkle and get a k&n drop in filter ( the square one) ...my 0.02 cents.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
i never thought of that... i like your thinking

·
Registered
93 Posts
I know this is off the subject, but where do you stay in NC. I live here too!!!!!! By the way, I got the same set-up, but with a k&n filter. I just don't believe in spending $250 on a freakin CAI.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Does anyone know if this would help on a pzev?

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Congrats you save all that money by not buying an aftermarket short ram, now if you are going to stay with that, throw out that pepboys filter and spend the 35-40 bucks for a K&N

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
Congrats you save all that money by not buying an aftermarket short ram, now if you are going to stay with that, throw out that pepboys filter and spend the 35-40 bucks for a K&N
I have one of those Pepboys filters on my car but I got it from Autozone...[neener]

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
well you got me, I was actually thinking of saying autozone first but i switched, I had a 50/50 chance, although you could throw in some of the other stores so in that case I feel pretty good about my guess! OK enough of my rambling. You get the picture!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
so what size is that? or a K&N Part Number please

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i would recommend adding a heat shield made out of sheet metal.......
I made up a sheet metal stand for it so it wouldnt be hard to just expand it.

Yea I could probably go for a better filter, right now it's just some pos autozone filter.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You know I run the exact same Autozone filter on my SVT........

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
If you want to change anything i would say put back on the box and snorkle and get a k&n drop in filter ( the square one) ...my 0.02 cents.
I 2nd this the stock intake is already very decent

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
i actually heard the stock air box on the normal zetec engines and the svtf are very restricting.
maybe im wrong idk

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
whats the diameter of that filter that you put on

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
whats the diameter of that filter that you put on
I have no idea, if you go to the store it'll be obvious though. It has three rubber rings to help match up the intake pipe but even then I had to buy a strip of rubber for the best fit.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts