Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I'd be a nice person and contribute these videos I made. The first is of the Focus with the airbox resonator removed. For a free mod it makes a pretty nice difference; not only does it sound better but it starts up much quicker too. In addition to that I point out my DIY backup camera installation.(seeing as how SE's don't have that option. LINK

I also made a video tour for those interested in what a "stripped down" SE looks like, seeing as how a fair number of people here have Titanium's and SEL's. Link for the tour

And not focus related, I have a video tour of my prior car a 1996 Cadillac Deville up if anyone cares.[wiggle] Link

UPDATE!!!The video of the subwoofer install is up!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll post pictures of the routing point in the firewall and more specifics on the sub later; its a monsoon outside at the moment. I can say it wasn't hard really, you just need to tap the rear speaker wires with a line out converter since the factory head unit doesn't have a sub output (to my knowledge, didn't feel like ripping a part a new cars dashboard too much). As for the backup camera I used an Audiovox ACA 250. I'm pretty sure its msrp is like $150 or so, amazon has it for $75, and my local Tuesday Morning had it for $40[woot]. Its really easy to install as long as you're comfortable with a soldering gun; the wire splicers it came with didn't work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ahh i see yeah i would like to upgrade the sound system but i really dont want to ruin sync or change the headunit out. so did you just pop out the rear speaker and splice wires from one side and run it to power the sub? did you have to get a sepereate amp to run the sub?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahh i see yeah i would like to upgrade the sound system but i really dont want to ruin sync or change the headunit out. so did you just pop out the rear speaker and splice wires from one side and run it to power the sub? did you have to get a sepereate amp to run the sub?
I didnt want to muck up the cars electrical system (Fords are known for having "just good enough" alternators) so I stuck with an 80 watt sub with a built in amplifier. This is it if you're interested. It even came with a free wiring kit so that's a plus. Yup, just splice the rear speaker wires for the signal; google how to install a line out converter if you're unsure, it should run you no more than $25. I'll make another video tomorrow demoing the sub in action, as well as where you have to run the wires.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Cool videos! I won't bother with the airbox resonator... I had enough of a loud car with my Mazdaspeed 3 when I had a full intake system and a straightpipe exhaust for a month, even an aftermarket exhaust with resonator/muffler didn't quiet it much... so I appreciate the quiet nature of my Focus.

Also, looks like the MyFord system alone works a little quicker on startup than the MyFord Touch, when talking about the screen in the gauge cluster, atleast. I also don't get the Ford logo there, lol.

Looks like a great car though, I probably wouldn't have minded an SE over the SEL that I got, but I appreciate the extra technology, will be getting an ESP soon so I'm bumper to bumper as long as I own it, lol.

·
Registered
422 Posts
man I thought it wasa video on HOW to remove the resonator! haha, was it difficult to remove?

·
Registered
141 Posts
man I thought it wasa video on HOW to remove the resonator! haha, was it difficult to remove?
ditto. side question, cause I know everyone asks this. Would this affect warranty or cause any issues for wet / cold climates? Sorry if thats a dumb question.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
ditto. side question, cause I know everyone asks this. Would this affect warranty or cause any issues for wet / cold climates? Sorry if thats a dumb question.
Doubtful it will cause any negative side effects based on climate. Manufacturers design their intake systems to be a compromise between efficient air delivery and quiet sound, usually biased toward the latter, which is why aftermarket air intakes are so popular. The resonator is really only there to quiet the intake as it pulls air in.

Warranty wise... shouldn't make a difference. If your dealership is really going to make a fuss about making the air intake a little louder, then they've really got a stick up their @$$. But if that's the case remember this is really only a noise mod.

·
Registered
68 Posts
does anyone know how to remove the resonator?!?!?!

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Took off the resonator and reasonably happy with how it sounds. Definitely a bit throatier, although inconsistent it seems...depending on the RPM and engine load loudness will vary quite a bit, and when just driving around it can sound a bit odd at times.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Took off the resonator and reasonably happy with how it sounds. Definitely a bit throatier, although inconsistent it seems...depending on the RPM and engine load loudness will vary quite a bit, and when just driving around it can sound a bit odd at times.

how do you take off the resonator? I really want to do this, but am unsure how!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I just cut a square in the air box cover and it reacts the same way. Sounds awesome when getting up to speed on the freeway, then odd and inconsistent around town

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
how do you take off the resonator? I really want to do this, but am unsure how!
Remove the four screws keeping the box cover in place. Loosen clamp from hose with MAF sensor attached, and slip off air box. Pull up on airbox where it attaches to frame, there are three rubber/plastic connections that pull out with a bit of force.

Once removed, there is a single bolt holding the resonator to the frame. Off the top my head, airbox bolts are 8mm, resonator 10mm.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Remove the four screws keeping the box cover in place. Loosen clamp from hose with MAF sensor attached, and slip off air box. Pull up on airbox where it attaches to frame, there are three rubber/plastic connections that pull out with a bit of force.

Once removed, there is a single bolt holding the resonator to the frame. Off the top my head, airbox bolts are 8mm, resonator 10mm.
Thanks man! Plan on trying it out tomorrow!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
That would make sense considering that the resonator is a tuned chamber.

There is also a lot of anecdotal evidence that suggests that removing the resonator can hurt engine performance.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
That would make sense considering that the resonator is a tuned chamber.

There is also a lot of anecdotal evidence that suggests that removing the resonator can hurt engine performance.
I can see that. Although I'm willing to bet any performance drops would be rather minimal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts