Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my cars intake tube mounts right near the opening of the hood. I Want to put it in a better location so where I can get more cold air. Can I do this with the stock intake tube or do I just have to buy a cold air intake? I dont want my car pulling hot air off my engine block.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Look on ebay and you can buy a cheap cold air intake kit. But go to the how to's and it'll show you what you can do with the stock air box to pick up cooler air

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If you wanna go the cheap route the bomz intake isn't that bad, not the best of course.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
The snorkle is pretty much in the best location for cold air...the problem is with the stock airbox. Its too restrictive for what the engine is capable of drawing if you have a header and full exhaust, not to mention signicant modifications like cylinder head, cams, larger valves and a tune. If you're looking for a better intake for cheap, you can just put a cone filter onto the end of the MAF sensor after removing the stock airbox. Its pretty much the same as a short-ram intake, although for what you can get a SRI for there's really no reason not to.

I'd suggest a CAI of some kind...Volant or Pipercross, or maybe an AEM if hydrolocking doesn't scare you.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I sugges a SVT intake with K&N filter. Looks stock, sounds nice and is proven to increase power over most aftermarket systems. Now if you went crazy NA or FI then i would look at some kind of custome SRI or CAI. If going CAI then be careful where you deciede to place your filter.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
SkaAddict said:
If you're looking for a better intake for cheap, you can just put a cone filter onto the end of the MAF sensor after removing the stock airbox. Its pretty much the same as a short-ram intake, although for what you can get a SRI for there's really no reason not to.

I'd suggest a CAI of some kind...Volant or Pipercross, or maybe an AEM if hydrolocking doesn't scare you.

I don't reccommend putting the a filter on the end of the maf. I did this and my maf was getting crazy readings on the scanner. I put the original air box back on and it ran so much better. Plus it had no power on the low end. Just save up some money and buy a decent intake.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive decided to go with the aem short ram intake. It is 185 for my car and from the reviews it seems like a wise purchase. Any other input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'm assuming you have the Zetec and not the SPI?

SVT intake and airbox. Used... about $40.00.

Since it's slightly better numbers than the Volant, i'd assume that it's comparable to any SRI out there, maybe better.

Then you can take that $145 you save and put it towards something else... heck, you'd be halfway to a nice exhaust.

·
Registered
420 Posts
When I first bought my car, I just deleted the stock air box, and all that junk, and put a cone filter on.

Recently, I bought a CAI, but my filter hangs so low, that (at the right angle) you can see it underneth my car while standing. And since mines lowered, I greatly increase my chances of hydrolock.

What I'm getting to is, if you're going CAI, I'd highly recommend an AEM Air Bypass valve. They're super easy to add onto the intake, and for $25.00 + $15.00, (I got mine NEW on eBay) it's worth it!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
One thing that never gets taken into consideration with long-tube (AEM-style) CAIs is if the filter gets wet its going to suck water and dirt into the engine, which negates the whole idea of having a filter in the first place. IMO, the only people who should install one are those who live in the desert or have dedicated track cars that get trailered to events are are never run in the rain.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
^^^^ Which is likely why he posted that if you go CAI you should get a bypass valve.

Besides, I think our post originator stated he was doing a SRI.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
Bypass valves are designed to stop the intake from ingesting water all the way up into the engine. It won't do anything to stop a smaller amount of water from being drawn through the filter as it gets wet from water on the road or rain/snow/slush. Long-tube CAIs terrify me...I wouldn't put one on my car if it was given to me for free.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
SkaAddict said:
^
Bypass valves are designed to stop the intake from ingesting water all the way up into the engine. It won't do anything to stop a smaller amount of water from being drawn through the filter as it gets wet from water on the road or rain/snow/slush. Long-tube CAIs terrify me...I wouldn't put one on my car if it was given to me for free.
funny you mention a free intake... i got one, and have been running it since december, and that was snow... not a problem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts