Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions about Intakes to our FF experts:
1. Which is a better buy, an SRI or a CAI?
2. Is it worth it or should you also do an exhaust to feel the difference from stock?
3. In colder climate areas like Toronto, will it be better to let the winter season end first before doing any intake mods?

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
pesonally i would go with the short ram intake, i live in alberta where is snows, and with the short ram you don't have to worry about water and snow or mud and slush covering the filter, if your worried about water getting into a cai, you basicly have to drive in a flooded area to kill your engine and you can get parts from aem that take the water out of the intake or at least a good portion of it before it reaches your engine. and from what i understand from other forums i have read the short ram preforms better than the cold air intake, i also have an exhaust done to mine if you are considering exhaust with your intake go for it, you do feel a diffrence when it comes to throttle response horse power gain your looking about about 1 - 2 hp i belive and the intake + exhaust combo really woke my enigne up, and your question about the winter if you want to you can wait cause the colder the air coming into your engine the worse on gas your going to do ( from what i have seen on other forums)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pesonally i would go with the short ram intake, i live in alberta where is snows, and with the short ram you don't have to worry about water and snow or mud and slush covering the filter, if your worried about water getting into a cai, you basicly have to drive in a flooded area to kill your engine and you can get parts from aem that take the water out of the intake or at least a good portion of it before it reaches your engine. and from what i understand from other forums i have read the short ram preforms better than the cold air intake, i also have an exhaust done to mine if you are considering exhaust with your intake go for it, you do feel a diffrence when it comes to throttle response horse power gain your looking about about 1 - 2 hp i belive and the intake + exhaust combo really woke my enigne up, and your question about the winter if you want to you can wait cause the colder the air coming into your engine the worse on gas your going to do ( from what i have seen on other forums)
Thanks Darkstar. I appreciate the input. I'll probably hold off until maybe next spring. i just came accross a couple of guys in craigslist selling both AEM CAI and SRI for a good price. Though with the cold weather, the car feels +20hp lol[grinking]

·
Registered
119 Posts
i got a cai on mine, and from what ive been told a cai will always produce more power then a sri. Just for the fact it pulls cold air from out side the engine bay rather then in it like a sri. The sri breathes better then the stock so you will see gains, but just not as much as a cai, just for the fact that the sri is pulling in warm air in the engine bay. plus lets not forget about heat soak in the summer. I live in Alberta too and i have no problems with my cai. I got a dry charger over my filter, and cai improve your gas millage same with sri. "The benefits of the gasoline system are increased cool-air flow for better overall power and mileage"

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got a cai on mine, and from what ive been told a cai will always produce more power then a sri. Just for the fact it pulls cold air from out side the engine bay rather then in it like a sri. The sri breathes better then the stock so you will see gains, but just not as much as a cai, just for the fact that the sri is pulling in warm air in the engine bay. plus lets not forget about heat soak in the summer. I live in Alberta too and i have no problems with my cai. I got a dry charger over my filter, and cai improve your gas millage same with sri. "The benefits of the gasoline system are increased cool-air flow for better overall power and mileage"
So swiftey, did you feel any power gains on your CAI? Is it more low end or top end torque?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
CAI will see better gains. if you want a safe CAI, go w/ an AEM w/ bypass filter. you don't have to worry about flooding ur engine that way. but the best intake out there is an SVT w/ panel filter. also may want to check out the volant.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
i have a CAI from an eam look alike and am thinking about getting the bypass but am not sure if it will fit. but a am also making a custom splash sheild so mud and small water spray does not get in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with faster than u, i just switched from a AEM CAI for the svt set up. From what i have noticed they both feel the exact same just with the svt there isnt as much intake noice. I got tired of worrying about snow and rain, sucks having a soaked filter just from driving. Just get the svt setup and be done. Oh and yes gas mileage is the same maybe a bit better.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys. I just posted a WTB ad for an SVT air box and snorkel. I think this will do better in our Canadian winters[loveff]

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
You could get a volant too if the SVT air box option doesn't work out. It's basically a SRI, but it's sealed from the rest off the engine bay, so you don't get any heat soak.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The volants are nice, just a little bit on the pricey side. I'll probably look at this as a last option.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Just look for a used one, which aren't very uncommon. I got mine used for $150.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts