Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Focus SVT and I hear what sounds like contacts clicking. It has to do with the silver/gray box near the front driver's side wheel well. I've disconnected it and reconnected it, but am at a loss as for what to do next. Can anyone tell me what to do or at least tell me what this part is actually called and where I can get a replacement?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Probably your DSI actuator...the cable that pulls the runners over might've come off of the actuator, and when you hit whatever RPM range it kicks the runners over at it tries to move them but it can't because its disconnected. Or it could be a problem with the actuator itself. Is the car throwing a CEL?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is a CEL?

Where is the cable? The only thing I found connected to the actuator is the connector and I'm fairly certain it is connected - but then again, maybe I need to check again.

If it needs a new actuator, do you know where I can get one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DSI actuator - still having issues

Ok - I found the 'HOW TO' link to fix the clip for the DSI - great post by the way! Everything was relatively simple once you remove everything to get to it.

However, now when I start the engine, the DSI still clicks a few times. It stops after a few seconds, and then the CEL comes on. I've disconnected the battery to reset the computer (had to to get to the clip), but the initial clicking at startup and CEL are still there. Is there a way to fix it so that there is NO more clicking at all and to reset the CEL so it doesn't come on? Would I have to buy a whole new DSI assembly (new box, runners, etc.)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I took my SVT into Ford to have them diagnose the problem, for a "worse case scenario of $80", but when I picked up the keys at the counter, I had a bill for $210; $13 for a replacement clip, and the rest labor. When I started the car up to drive away, the grinding sound was present for a few seconds, and then goes away, but my CEL comes on. The dealer said it would cost an additional $400 to repair for a new actuator motor. I've already paid $130 for a problem I could have fixed for free (well, the cost of a screw from my junk bin). I don't understand why I need a new actuator motor when it appears to work for the first few seconds after I start it. I want to get this fixed, since I heard my gas mileage will be worse than normal if my intake duct is not at the correct length. FocusRed, I hope someone with the answer responds to your question.

·
Registered
220 Posts
This might help from a TSB but a VIN would get you way more.

FORD: 2001-2002 FOCUS

ISSUE:
Some 2001 vehicles equipped with a 2.0L SPI engine may exhibit a pulsing or ticking noise originating from the engine compartment and/or may have a MIL light with DTC P0401 or P0402 code. Some 2002 vehicles built 12/1/2001 through 5/21/2002 equipped with 2.0L Zetec engine and a dash mounted DPFE sensor, may also exhibit a MIL light with DTC P0401 or P0402. This may be caused by the Delta Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensor.

ACTION:
If diagnosis leads to a failed DPFE sensor, order DPFE Service Kit (3S4Z-9P449-AA) and follow the instructions supplied with the kit to install.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
3S4Z-9P449-AA DPFE Sensor Service Kit

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
021301A Replace Dash Mounted Delta Pressure Feedback (DPFE) Sensor And Wiring Connector Following Instructions In Kit 0.6 Hr.

·
Registered
384 Posts
DJ Lukdogg said:
This might help from a TSB but a VIN would get you way more.

FORD: 2001-2002 FOCUS

ISSUE:
Some 2001 vehicles equipped with a 2.0L SPI engine may exhibit a pulsing or ticking noise originating from the engine compartment and/or may have a MIL light with DTC P0401 or P0402 code. Some 2002 vehicles built 12/1/2001 through 5/21/2002 equipped with 2.0L Zetec engine and a dash mounted DPFE sensor, may also exhibit a MIL light with DTC P0401 or P0402. This may be caused by the Delta Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensor.

ACTION:
If diagnosis leads to a failed DPFE sensor, order DPFE Service Kit (3S4Z-9P449-AA) and follow the instructions supplied with the kit to install.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
3S4Z-9P449-AA DPFE Sensor Service Kit

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
021301A Replace Dash Mounted Delta Pressure Feedback (DPFE) Sensor And Wiring Connector Following Instructions In Kit 0.6 Hr.

LOL i think you are wayyyyyy off base with that post. DSI acuature as nothing to do with the EGR ststem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts