Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Marcy Motorsports

Votes: 11 73.3%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do yall think will be better? The cossie intake manifold or the marcymotorsport intake manifold?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
bastard i don't even have a choice! j/k isn't the cossie more expensive, and aren't you just paying more for the name?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i dont thik the mm has come out yet, but in beta it runs better gains than cosworth supposedly and b/c it wont have a huge nameplate or anything fancy it will be cheaper

·
Registered
440 Posts
well i was just on MM website and he made one but its not for sale yet but i hear good things from him and cosworth is just flat out expensive everything from cosworth seems to cost like $100-$200 more. if MM makes one i would buy it in a heart beat!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea I know the MM manifold hasn't some out I was just wanting yalls opinions, this plus a couple other mods (cams,tune,header,tb) is goin to be a christmas present for myself haha just wanted to know before I bought the coswerth if the mm would be or is projected to be better?

·
Registered
930 Posts
On a 2006 you would have to move some power steering stuff around (using liek 2005ish parts) to even think about the cossie manifold. The Marcy will be a good compromise manifold from what I hear, meaning you can use it on a 2.0L without losing massive amounts of torque. Another thing that has sold me on the MM is the likelyhood of it being able to accept stock tumble flaps, thus making it a hell of a lot easier to install - no custom tuning required.

He is trying to make it a direct replacement part so it will be legal in california w/out a CARB exemption.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what the hell are tumble flaps? And will the MM intake manifold fit a 2.3?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The MarcyMotorsport manifold will be designed to fit both the 2.0 and 2.3 with both power steering locations.

·
Registered
930 Posts
focus_racer19 said:
what the hell are tumble flaps? And will the MM intake manifold fit a 2.3?
Tumble flaps are the little flaps in the manifold that vary their "openness" at lower RPMs in order (correct me if I'm wrong) to run slightly lean. It is an emissions sort of thing.. They open up as you go to higher RPMs ( I think somewhere in the 3000rpm range).

Not to be confused with the variable runner geometry of a 2.3L intake manifold, which has additional flaps to effectively vary the volume of the plenum (the 2.0L intake manifold does not have this).

You need special tuning for the Cosworth manifold because it is a straight in fairly short runner manifold with none of these features, which would make the car run nastily without the tuning.

The beauty of the Marcy manifold (if it does indeed have the capability to retain tumble flaps) is that your computer won't need to be tuned in order to swap it on.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so all I gotta do is take the MM outta the box and bolt it on?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well I know I'm new to the forums and I don't know a lot about the Focus but I would have to go with the Cosworth. Cosworth may cost more but they have been around much longer and they have proven them self in the racing industry. I also think the Cosworth manifold is the better looking of the two,....just my thoughts though

·
Registered
930 Posts
focus_racer19 said:
so all I gotta do is take the MM outta the box and bolt it on?
I think the word on the street is that if it retains the tumble flap capability, you will have to swap them onto the new manifold. Aero could prolly speak to this better.

Canadian ST, no one disputes Cosworth's pedigree. Hell, I have some Cossie stuff on my car. The problem is a matter of function and price. On a 2.0L the Cosworth manifold will be a screamer at at very high rev, but torque will be sacrificed greatly. Tuning is another issue. You simply can't put the dpower kits on a 2.0L directly from Cosworth. You would need to get custom tunes in order to make it work right, and Cosworth doesn't offer them.

The Marcy intake would offer another alternative to the pricier Cosworth piece. It would let us d20 guys have the option to put an intake on and not lose gops of torque, and it would be easier on the budget. Cosworth has a prototype d20 manifold, but I can only imagine the price.

Another interesting part about the Marcy piece is this: if it is offered as a direct replacement, it will be legal in California and other green states (the Cosworth manifold is not), and because it will function exactly the same (assuming the tumble flap capability is retained- a must for it to be emissions legal) there will be no tuning necessary (although I bet more power would be had for the tuning).

The Cosworth manifold is great, just not necessarily suited well to all applications.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Canadian ST said:
I would have to go with the Cosworth. Cosworth have proven them self in the racing industry. I also think the Cosworth manifold is the better looking of the two....
MM intake vs. Cossi means:

a) more torque
b) tumble flap capability
c) no extra tuning
d) emissions legal
e) cheaper price
f) looks are irrelevant (face it, over 99% of the time your hood is closed!)

MM intake>Cossi intake

No real comparison here ...

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
a)has more torque been proven?
b)has emission legal been aproved?
c)looks might be irelevant but real racer apriciate brand names, such as AEM vs BOMZ (for the zetec engine)

im not sure how this is going to be emission legal, specially on the green states. $$ has to in to that get a CRAB legal "thing."

please update me if this has already been done.

and about the price, i would not mind if it was the same price as the cossi as long as it is better. with more torque, the tumble flab, CARB legal, etc

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
well then again look might not matter. but hmm. like tom saids have to give looks for performance

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
y2kpedo said:
a)has more torque been proven?
b)has emission legal been aproved?
c)looks might be irelevant but real racer apriciate brand names, such as AEM vs BOMZ (for the zetec engine)

im not sure how this is going to be emission legal, specially on the green states. $$ has to in to that get a CRAB legal "thing."

please update me if this has already been done.

and about the price, i would not mind if it was the same price as the cossi as long as it is better. with more torque, the tumble flab, CARB legal, etc
a) Walter posted a dyno a while back on focaljet of him working on the silver car which was very similar to the black car, the differences being a .9 more compression and the new intake manifold. he made significantly more torque and hp and he's not through with the manifold or the tuning.
c)MarcyMotorsport IS brand name when it comes to the focus/duratec. He holds the record for naturally aspirated hp at 221whp and will be breaking that record with the new silver car, 250whp is expected.
b)it will be a DIRECT REPLACEMENT PART thus not subject to passing CARB.

Straight from the website:
" This part has been designed to fit the 2003-2007 US Spec Focus, Mazda 3, Mazda 6, Fusion, and other FWD Duratec engine equipped vehicles. The Marcy Motorsport Duratec inlet manifold has been engineered for maximum airflow while maintaining strong, low-mid rpm torque. The manifold will fit the 2.0L and the 2.3L and hopefully it will support 240-260hp naturally aspirated. Assembled from light-weight aluminum with torque enhancing velocity stacks. The manifold will be a lightweight tubular construction with a large plenum and formed aluminum tubular runners. The throttle body flange will be a two piece design. The sandwich adapter will contain idle control circuits and allow for stock and currently available aftermarket throttle bodies. The base flange will accept a new 75mm throttle body, the largest available anywhere for a Duratec. The new 75mm throttle body specs will be announced later. Kit will include all required mounting hardware.

The design does take into account the 2006+ Focus power steering reservoir, making it a 2003-2007 model year coverage part with a lot of cross model coverage as stated before. Custom tuning is suggested for best results on any model, but tuning will not be required. I believe I can have the Gen-II design ready to test before the end of August, and a production piece in September. The manifold will be powder coated Semi-Gloss Black which will look about the same as the OE plastic piece in color.

A key design point is that if the manifold is functionally identical to the part it replaces. As a result, it qualifies as a direct replacement part under California emissions law and does not require a CARB EO number to be legal. Not requiring a CARB EO number would mean legality without the added cost of certification. There will be a provision where the end user can install the O.E. charge motion controls from their original manifold and install them into the new manifold which will make the manifold a true direct replacement part. Since both the 2.0 and 2.3 have the flaps, this is a common point for both manifolds, thus my desire to include it in the design. Additionally, with the flaps installed, you could bolt on the manifold and it would not require a new tune. A cost saving measure, the manifold itself would only have the provisions, the flaps themselves would not be included. So it would be an option to not install them, and use the manifold for off-road and racing purposes only."

·
Registered
930 Posts
I actually dreamt about installing this last night..no joke..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts