Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many intake manifold are available for the duratec now?

I just went on e-bay to check on that cossie knock off and now i see 4 different ones that say fit 04-07 focus.

I really like the one on the top right.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Is the top right a Weapon-R? I remember reading about that one on a mazda 3 board but cant remember what they thought of it

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i think they all are other then the cossie knock off.

I like the top right because it puts that big part down kinda out of the way a little more like the stock plenum.

Ide like to get a new intake but the cossie and the knock off just dont look right IMO.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, both of those look better then the 2.3 one. Why didnt they make that one for the 2.0? I like it alot better.

This one looks cool, some one posted it on focaljet.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
I like the look of the WeponR as well but for the price you may as well go with a real Cossie!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i guess its what your going for really right?

Cossie and knockoff = short runners = good bottom end, weaponR = longer runners = good topend or so ive read. The weaponR appears to have slightly longer runners. Ide prefer to have all that bulge down lower on the engine myself like the cossie 2.0L or that Mountune version.

Maybe thats why the stock manifold lacks the bottom end because the runners are so long?

I like the look of the WeponR as well but for the price you may as well go with a real Cossie!
not IMO. knockoff = $250. + your time to mod it to fit the 2.0 which i have. The weaponR is $469. no mods. The cossies is like $700. plus the time to do the mods.

So the weaponR is about 2X as the knock off just needs installed. The cossie is 3X and still needs to be hacked up. Ide much rather put in the time on the knockoff if i had to do any modifying at all. Thats just my opinion though.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Well i guess its what your going for really right?

Cossie and knockoff = short runners = good bottom end, weaponR = longer runners = good topend or so ive read. The weaponR appears to have slightly longer runners.
Actually it's just the opposite. Long runners help with the bottom end. Short ones help up top.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
^^^^ That's what you need for a street car= torque!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The mountune IM would be sik, I wonder if it would fit????

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually it's just the opposite. Long runners help with the bottom end. Short ones help up top.
WHAT! are you sure? i thought i had just read about the runners and the length.

So then the weponR and that Mountune are the better 2 for street? They look to have longer runners wouldnt you say?

·
Registered
716 Posts
WHAT! are you sure? i thought i had just read about the runners and the length.

So then the weponR and that Mountune are the better 2 for street? They look to have longer runners wouldnt you say?
Yes. I'm sure. This is why alot of people talk about the cossie not making any or much power until the upper rpms.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes. I'm sure. This is why alot of people talk about the cossie not making any or much power until the upper rpms.
I have heard that but the stock one has pretty long runners and IMO its a dog in the low end.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have heard that but the stock one has pretty long runners and IMO its a dog in the low end.
restriction?

dyno with Fujita SRI, Weapon-R Intake Mani, Draxas Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust.
After the split second Fuel/Engine Tunning
on a mazda3 2.3... 168whp 165tq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhdIMqvlz2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWtaCitpOFY&NR=1

before tuning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3OEeGgKl1U&feature=related

i have a mazda3 hatch 2.3 now.. one of the member of mazda3 forums will get his car on the dyno before he installs the weapon-r mani and again after the install to see if it gives some gains. stock mazda3 with 2.3 has around 129whp stock... 35whp with these mods is really good!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
yeah the stock mani has long runners, but is pretty restrictive. As for the Weapon-R intake, I don't really think it's that bad. However, I don't think I would run it with boost. For that type of application, I would use the Cossie.

alex, I saw your post over on FJ. People say not to use the Cossie for a lightly modded engine due to the loss of bottom end. This is true. I think it's a matter of how YOU want your car to run. It might be a pain driving around town with the intake. You figure your shifting your torque curve up, so stop and go driving might get annoying after awhile. It's not like you're at the track high up in the rpm's all the time.

My advice to you would maybe maybe to put your money into something else for your car. Again, it's up to you. The dyno doesn't lie. I'm not surprised with the 35whp with those mods because you guys are running the 2.3. You have an advantage from the get-go compared to us 2.0 guys. However, don't expect those numbers. It could be due a variety of reasons why he got that number.

·
Registered
411 Posts
yeah the stock mani has long runners, but is pretty restrictive. As for the Weapon-R intake, I don't really think it's that bad. However, I don't think I would run it with boost. For that type of application, I would use the Cossie.

alex, I saw your post over on FJ. People say not to use the Cossie for a lightly modded engine due to the loss of bottom end. This is true. I think it's a matter of how YOU want your car to run. It might be a pain driving around town with the intake. You figure your shifting your torque curve up, so stop and go driving might get annoying after awhile. It's not like you're at the track high up in the rpm's all the time.

My advice to you would maybe maybe to put your money into something else for your car. Again, it's up to you. The dyno doesn't lie. I'm not surprised with the 35whp with those mods because you guys are running the 2.3. You have an advantage from the get-go compared to us 2.0 guys. However, don't expect those numbers. It could be due a variety of reasons why he got that number.
im not planning to start modding this year. i just got rid of my svt... next year. maybe ill keep it stock and get a toy for the summer. the mz3 is ok but it lacks the solidity, raw edge + a lot of power in the top end that my svt had. its easier to drive in traffic and around town though.

give it a chance... its so damn easy and ignorant to say its crap if nobody ever tried.
another member from the mz3 forum will get his 2.3 auto on the dyno before and after the install of the wpr mani. we'll see how it turns out. for the price to me its worth it... i dont really need a lot of power so it would be fine for daily driving and fun on the backroads.

·
Registered
582 Posts
after looking around at prices for these online, I ran into a thread pointing out that the two weapon r intakes will only work with drive by wire throttle bodies.

http://vr-speed.com/store/weaponr-intake-manifold-0407-ford-focus-501113101-p-23247.html this is the best deal I could find on the upper right one, and was ready to buy it. but guess what, there is no mounting for the IAC valve.

it says 04-07, but everyone knows throttle by wire didnt come out until 08... in AMERICA. In Europe and china I think they had it already in 04. This is really disappointing. For 430 bucks it looks like a solid piece.

The guy with the mazda put down some really decent #s and kept the torque instead of losing it all. BUMMER!

·
Registered
582 Posts
oh, and by the way. every time I read a thread on FJ it makes me realize how much I love FF. thats all i have to say.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts