Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here ever had to replace one of these? It's what switches the dual stage intake at the predetermined RPM (5500 for most). Mine went out and was making a weird pumping noise. Anyways my main concern is once I get to it which should be fairly easy (remove front driver side wheel and plastice wheel well liner) where does the one and only cable that is on it go to? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the cable that goes to it is that the DSI cable? That would make sense. So all I have to do is find the dsi clip and bolt the intake runner on and I'd be done right? What way do you have in mind for replacing the intake runner? I would think that the easiest way to get to it would be to take the wheel off but if you have a better way I'm all for it. Thanks for the help.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
The DSI cable is on the left side (driver's side) of the intake manifold.
It's right underneath the TB.
If you remove the airbox, it will be in plain site.
There's a link with pics in a thread...somewhere.
But I don't have time to look right now. [:(]
The Daily Show starts in two minutes!

Try searching for DSI AND pics in SVT Performance Chat.
Maybe that'll find it for ya.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Actually tom is spot-on, Go through the headlight..... It's ALOT easier, I'm putting a Supercharger on my friends SVTF and You can see the DSI box in plain View with the headlight out (3 bolts are easier than removing the fender liner and wheel) [thumb]

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Tom, you were correct as always. Man it was a hell of a day, I tore the whole thing apart with out checking the dsi clip post thingy and when I came to the part where I remove it I was like " what the hell its not connected to anything". So I checked the boards and found out the screw trick and got that all done and complete. Hooked everything back up and was thinking I wasted $80 on a part I didn't need. Started my car up and it was still making the funny pumping sound. I couldn't belive it,so I had to tear everything apart again and replace the part that I thought needed replaced in the first place. After I put everything back together it was running like a dream. I was amazed I was F'd on both ends, the clip end of it all and the intake runner manifold itself. I was double screwed. So its all done and I ended up looking like a greased monkey but if any needs to do it I've been through it twice in one day so drop me a pm or post back. Thanks to everyone for there help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
sidney61199 said:
Thank you all for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out. Is it common for these to go out? I've been on this board for awhile and have never heard of anyone having problems with them before.
Oh yeah, it's very common. Usually its just the clip though. Ours just went out, at 90k. Dealer wanted $360 to fix it ($150 for the part.) NOT! I'll do it...

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I wish someone could rehost the video of the sound when it's broken. That should help a lot of people out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
for anyone who needs it...

[:)] uploaded (audio / video of IMRC cycling when broken)
Link here

(if you are having problems, right click the link and Save Target As)

just a note - if the clip is broken, you may not hear this noise. I know my own clip was broken for a while and i never heard this noise until after i fixed the clip when the IMRC actuator actually stripped out inside. (ford part 2M5Z*9J559*BB)

this sound is caused by the IMRC continuously trying to pull the cable into the short runner position. when the internal mechanics slip inside of the actuator, the actuator continues to try to pull the cable (resulting in a cycle of noises comming from the actuator slipping)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.