Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2000 zx3 5 speed and i was talking to a few of my friends i was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the subject.... i heard that it was possible to install a svt duel intake manifold on a ztec motor and was wondering what is involved in doing so.
i'd also like to know if it is a good idea or shoulld i just go with an aftermarket one?
can some1 shed some light on the subject for me thanks

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
youve got a 2000...............just port yours, so much easier and will work well, aftermarket ones are for higher hp motors

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but here goes. I also have a 2000 Zetec, and have read many times on here that the 2000 intake is desirable above all others- which really makes me feel privilaged and special. But what exactly makes it better? Also, how do you port an intake? I've heard of porting a head, but what exactly is involved in porting an intake?

Wave

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
what makes it better?...the runner design side by side it can easily be seen. as for the svt manifold, sure, you could get it on the focus, but its not going to be functional as to change runners. mofocus said it, port it, unless your making serious power or going turbo/vortech, theres no reason to replace it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input and i eventually want to turbo my car but as of now im just asking questions and looking at my options

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've never seen any information about porting an intake manifold other than the porting with a Dremel where the throttle body meets the manifold. Can anyone supply some direction on how to port the manifold? Or am I just supposed to go at it with a Dremel making everything wider? I would think that would disturb the smoothness of the airflow if I did that. What's the technique here?

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
use a dremel, takes me about 2 hrs and a few bits on the dremel, dremel away as much as i can then sand it smooth.

you will be suprised how much you can actually clear outta the manifold and for 8 bucks and some time, you can feel the difference. head side and tb side both get ported, just gotta be careful not to f up or put a hole in the manifold, something FC tends to do when they would port them. i used to have pics to show the difference of the two after porting, i'll take a look through my comp.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
well heres a mani i got from kickn and my old 01 mani, you can see a little of the difference in the runners here

2000 on the left and then 2001 over there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts