Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be building an Alum intake manifold for a turbo on my SVT.
What size,length runners should I use and main tube size. I'm going to be putting Velocity stacks on each runner also. And were would be a good place to set the TB. I was thinking in the center? Any help would be great. Dont know much about the specs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Im not sure about exact specs but Jays Racing made one and he has the build and process on here in a thread. Look over in the vendor section and you should see his thread.

·
Registered
531 Posts
cfm sells one for the focus and states will work on svt. sells for around 900 dollars thou

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I've been wondering about that CFM one. On F/I and also if it shows any benefits or gains N/A.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I have the Jay Racing intake manifold. We seen slight gains up top but lost some through the low and mid range.

Tom swears by the Ford Racing IM, he says you see very little losses down low and you do see gains up top.

I like the JaY Racing one, call me biased, I really like the fact that I don't have to worry about it blowing apart under pressure.

Be very careful if you are going to make your own. I would advise being very well educated in the art of making IM. YOu can't just weld some tubing together and call it an IM.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have the Jay Racing intake manifold. We seen slight gains up top but lost some through the low and mid range.

Tom swears by the Ford Racing IM, he says you see very little losses down low and you do see gains up top.

I like the JaY Racing one, call me biased, I really like the fact that I don't have to worry about it blowing apart under pressure.

Be very careful if you are going to make your own. I would advise being very well educated in the art of making IM. YOu can't just weld some tubing together and call it an IM.
Yeah I agree if your going to make your own. Also you only getting the manifold not all the fitting your going to need to get it work. You can worry about the low and mid range but you will need to pick the right turbo to get it where you want it. [read]

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172707&highlight=CFM+intake+Manifold

This is my manifold. Good Luck

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
C-F-M just sells some one elases intake and in my opinion the jay racing intake will flow better just because of the way they do a few things Diff

You dont need to go through the trouble to make an intake unless you just want the looks , not intake out there has proven to do much if anything on the Zetec or the SVT , spend the time and money on something that will work for you

Tom

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Im talking to a few people and might just get it milled out of 1 solid billit block

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Overall the stock SVT works well. Good low end, top end, and I have yet to hear about one breaking under pressure.

Rumor has it that it will hold no more than 25psi. Most of use are under that.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm with focusguy87 on this. I wouldn't mind a good aftermarket intake manifold but after a lot of hype from several different companies, I have yet to see a solid before and after dyno showing gains. I think that Ford Racing manifold is a great piece for the money with proven gains but I believe you need the FR head to get it to mate up correctly. Not to sure on this though. I'd say for 90% of the FI svt's out there, the stock manifold with upgraded clamps should do just fine.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[:D] yeah I know, just wanted to see what someone would say.

But still no one has answered my questions. How long of runners, size of plehnum, were to put TB, etc...

I guess what does everyone else have so we can go off those numbers.

·
FF's Quadriplegic!
2,897 Posts
Ask Tom about the fuel injector placement. Mine were not quite in the right position, so he fixed mine.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah I noticed the placement on one of the pics. They looked like they didnt angle into the ports right.

As for secret information I wouldnt think of it that way. Just something to go off of.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Use curved runners and put four throttlebodies on them, encase them in a cylindrical housing connected to the turbo outlet, and cut a hole in the hood for clearance. [:D] Mmmm turbo ITB...

Anyway, whose intake does CFM sell?

·
Banned
231 Posts
Ask Tom about the fuel injector placement. Mine were not quite in the right position, so he fixed mine.
Tom & Rudel,

Do you have any before and after dyno numbers/pictures with and without the "fix"? The last time I saw it the intake was designed with the same angle and placement as the stock SVT intake flange.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
ill tell you this you want atleast 10inch of runner length starting from the center of the intake valve to the end of the velocity stack

1 - 20 of 27 Posts