Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cold air intake for my car right..
and I need to know 2 things..

what is the best filter for any intake?
and where can I get a guard to cover the
bottom and back side of the filter, or just
any type of guard for that matter to deflect
water from hitting it?

any help please?

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
i would get a k&n filter and I believe injen makes a cover that goes over the filter so it wont get that wet.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
I went with a K&N filter. bought it online somewhere. It has a 3" opening and is slightly longer than the aem that came with my cai. the aem one was all crunched from the tight fit and thus harder to clean. When I got the K&N I cut a few inches off the end of the cai, mind you the K&N was an 1" or two longer. I had trouble with the filter getting wet so I went to the hardware store, bought a piece of plexy glass. Drilled a few holes for zip ties. Cut a skateboard bushing down for a gasket around the bolt support. Found in the past that the plexyglass would crack around the bolt support. Haven't had a problem with the bushing and cracking. Prolly buy a rubber washer at the hardware store.

If my car sits outside in the pooring rain the car acts a little sluggish. I suspect water coming in from the top somewere as the symptoms mimic prefabed splash gaurd wet filter. In the future I'l dissassembly and see if I can make something to go above the filter to prevent suspected filter soakage from the top. Here's some pics of the splashgaurd in its earlier form. Cost is minimal and I highly recomend it. Obviously continue to aviod high puddles/flooding.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I'd also aviod those prefilter mesh covers. Garbage. Had one and the filter still got wet.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I grabbed a Spectre filter from O'Reileys to use when I clean my AEM filter. I don't notice any difference in performance and it is alot less expensive.

You have to remember that just about any filter will flow more air than the engine will actully use. Spectre also makes a filter guard that you can use as a shield.

http://www.spectreperformance.com

·
Registered
282 Posts
Puhlease. . . ITG cone filters are the best of all, Made of 3 layers of smaller and smaller filtering foam, lifetime warranty, super easy to clean just soak and squeez, and they make a sick high whistling sound when they suck air in. You will be paying a pretty penny for one though, they cost like 90.00 bucks. You get your moneys worth though.

http://www.itgairfilters.com/content2.asp?section=trifoam

·
Registered
105 Posts
CFM makes a prefilter that should work. If your worrying about hydrolock, the chances are pretty low unless you drive though a deep pothole filled with water. I've been driving though the most recent hurricanes in my area and I havnt had any problems with my cai.

·
Registered
723 Posts
My biggest issue with my CAI is that in very wet conditions, heavy rain or lots of standing water, my filter will get so soaked with water it barely flows any air at all so my car stumbles and runs very badly. I try to avoid driving in those kind of conditions but sometimes it can't be avoided. I keep the extra filter under my seat so i can change them out when one gets too soaked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts