Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone mounted an intake box on their SC. I was looking at getting a Volant. I havent finished the install yet and all ready looking to change things up.[;)]

·
Registered
152 Posts
...by intake box, do you also mean the stock intake box? I'm not sure that my situation applies, however, I have the JRSC+BBK on my SVTF, and I'm using the stock intake box. Actually, if you check out the Oscar Jackson Engineering website (URL?), I believe they've done comparison tests (it might be only for the SVTF). Results indicate that between stock' and the Volant intake, there are virtually no performance differences. I don't know if this is helpful...[???:)]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe on the JR SC for the ZX3 it comes with a SVT airbox. Because it flows better. I had been thinking about making some kind of heatshield for the intake filter. I want something like a CAI. I just saw a Volant for sale and thought I would inquire.

·
Registered
456 Posts
A Pipercross Viper might be a more direct approach.

A Volant needs to be heavily modified to work with the PW MAF tube. I've been modifying one and it is quite a hack-up. I also have the scoop for it and I might do some other airflow improvements to it as well.

I hope to have it installed soon ... will post up pics when ready.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you use the volant filter or the Powerworks green one? Love to see pics of it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
where can i get a look at a pipercross viper intake

·
Registered
842 Posts
lol, never mind.......... $350 dollars? and it looks like a dryer hose? lol, there's got to be a better solution

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
bryanjw82 said:
lol, never mind.......... $350 dollars? and it looks like a dryer hose? lol, there's got to be a better solution
its only the best intake made for the Focus....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone tried one of the lowered priced airfilters with a plastic wrap around heatshield. They look similar to the pipercross. Maybe you could just add your own flexable intake piping. I don't know about the quality of the filter element thought.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
This is the way I look at it......

I just dropped a little over 3grand for my supercharger...why would I skimp on something as simple as an air filter?

Its your motor, though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not looking to skimp. All airfilters allow some dirt to pass thorough. Some are better than others. I've read a few reports on air filter and seen some real world tests. In the past I've used many K&N filters,several different foam filters and non oil K&N look alikes. I've never had a problem using any of these. I'm just looking for ideas and options.

·
Registered
456 Posts
spins said:
did you use the volant filter or the Powerworks green one? Love to see pics of it.
The Green one ... basically you bury the whole PW MAF tube arrangement inside the Volant.

I was doing some temp measurments last week (digital thermometer with a remote sensor ... put inside the filter element). Just to establish some baseline measurements with the out-of-the-box PW setup.

Leaving the garage and nomal driving, the temps are ~5*F higher than ambient - not too bad. Stop-and-go traffic the temps will get ~20*F higher than ambient. Will cool back down within 2-3 miles.

Park the car in the sun and the filter underhood temp is ~30*F higher and stays there for awhile ... 5-6 miles before the temps start to even drop. Temps won't get within ~10*F ambient because everything underhood is already really hot.

I'm hoping the 'ram air' of the Volant helps to cool things down quicker.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you have the lower stock duct attached to bring in cooler air while driving?

·
Registered
456 Posts
No ... nothing to attach it to with the out-of-the-box PW setup (as intended).

There will be on the Volant setup.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I meant did you install the factory focus air duct. The one which mount just over the radiator sill plate and runs under or beside the battery and comes up underneath the airfilter box. I thought the volant box has a open in the bottom somewhere for this to mount.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The Volant box does have the opening for the factory air duct ... but I haven't mentioned anything about actually installing the Volant yet. The above temps were with the out-of-the-box PW setup.

I also have the Volant 'ram air' scoop I am going to use with the hacked up box. It also has a provision to duct air from the scoop under the battery and into the box. Basically, the Volant box with 'ram air' scoop has 3 air-in paths - the 'ram air' scoop over the battery, the duct from the end of the scoop under the battery and into the box, and the end of the box which points down behind the DS headlight (I'll be ducting that to my fog light hole duct I made).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh sorry, I thought you had the modded volant box on.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Not quite yet. The spare MAF tube I have was an early prototype part and the sensor fitment in it isn't very good. I'll see if i can scrounge up another MAF sensor rather than worry about messing up my normal setup.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is a few pics of a Homemade heatshield I'm working on. I used thin alumnium for the shield. It's easy to work with. I'll transfer the pattern to a thicker metal when it's complete. I reinstalled the stock intake duct to help bring in cool air. I deleted the PW airfilter tray. The Green filter is a bit long and I can't cut the take piping.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts