Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my aunts nephew(not my cousin complete other side) is a mechanic at a ford dealer (gus johnson) and hes been there for a while so hes seen quite a bit. My dad has had a 2.0 dtech for about 5 years. When he approached our mechanic about a new cai he said not to because all the sensors on the stock would throw stuff off in the computer and such. Or he said it was pointless because of something idk never got the full story.

I have had a 2005 2.3 dtech ST for about three weeks now and would LOVE to know if this is true or if i could just go trash the stock one and put a steeda SRI in. If it is true i would like to know what i need to do before hand.

I also heard that this has 2 catalytic converters and the second is after all sensors. If i were to remove this and replace it with some piping(idk where i would get it just asking questions) would it make my car faster? or more responsive or should i just wait to do a full exhaust in the far future?

I have a lot on my plate for this car before performance mods so this is just me putting my feet in the water to understand more about this car before i go balls deep. Thanks in advance!

p.s. to anyone who can answer this, i know some of the 05-07 STs say pzev on the back, mine doesn't. Is it still a pzev? What is pzev? is it good? bad? or whatever?

Sorry about the question flood I'm just too dang excited about this car, and i want to know it all!! haha

Thanks again and of course [ffrocks]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
No PZEV ST's AFAIK.

ST's weren't sold in CA emissions states.

PZEV is a CA emissions version, with the Partial Zero referring to no hydocarbon emissions at rest from a steel gas tank instead of a plastic one. There are a number of other mods for lower emissions, and this version is easily recognized by the 'lifetime" air filter many love to hate.

Wait on the exh., pulling the second converter isn't going to make a big difference. Whole exh. doesn't add a lot from yours with the "lunchbox" resonator removed from the factory.

CAI / SRI can be used without problems if it's a good one, how much gain with no other changes is debatable. Assuming you have a replaceable filter, drop in K&N is a possibility.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i could put in a new filter but the problem with me is i like things that look cool...regardless of performance haha i love the steeda cai cage chrome with the cut out steeda logo its soo cool haha and i know it ads a little bit to the engine idk how much though

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Save up for Wheels/Tires & suspension for next year, you've got decent zoom & better than average brakes so far (which can be upgraded).

Felix will be reminding you of the BSD kit (balance shaft delete) that pulls 20 lb. of junk out of the oil pan & adds a quart of oil capacity. Engine spins faster when not moving all that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting haha, im adding weight already, im a bit of a car audio junkie the amp is a little big that im putting in lol the subwoofer will be removable though so i guess i could spare to lose 20 lbs of stuff haha

·
Registered
582 Posts
For 180 bucks I think the cfm fswerks cool flo cai is a good deal. Although I agree that steeda intakes look fantastic and always work good. When I first go my ST I was in the same boat and kept an eye on the used parts for sale forum. I got my cai, rims, and header for a 1/3 of the price of new. I put a header on with the stock cat back, and got complimented all the time on the sound, more than I do now. Despite what most say there WAS a noticeable increase with just a header, but I would get an obx if I did it again. Have fun!!!!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
No PZEV ST's AFAIK.

ST's weren't sold in CA emissions states.

PZEV is a CA emissions version, with the Partial Zero referring to no hydocarbon emissions at rest from a steel gas tank instead of a plastic one. There are a number of other mods for lower emissions, and this version is easily recognized by the 'lifetime" air filter many love to hate.

Wait on the exh., pulling the second converter isn't going to make a big difference. Whole exh. doesn't add a lot from yours with the "lunchbox" resonator removed from the factory.
This^^^^^^^ The ST exhaust system is the best performing oem exhaust.
CAI / SRI can be used without problems if it's a good one, how much gain with no other changes is debatable. Assuming you have a replaceable filter, drop in K&N is a possibility.
i could put in a new filter but the problem with me is i like things that look cool...regardless of performance haha i love the steeda cai cage chrome with the cut out steeda logo its soo cool haha and i know it ads a little bit to the engine idk how much though
Do a bsd plug= the best bang for the buck mod you can do. A great saturday morning project= 6qtrs oil/filter, a plug to block off the bs feed hole. Add the Steeda sri.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^^ Knew it!

20# off the front, add a 20# sub in the back, you've still improved your weight distribution.

Grin

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
The Steeda CAI with the Magna Flo flex back exhaust is a good combo. Metter mpg's and more ponies.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hey Jake it's me retrofit headlight sean I can help you with anything you need focus wise :) might be selling my cossie intake soon

·
Registered
621 Posts
Also no st were pzev even the st sold in cali emissions states were non pzev 2.3

*Also hi Bruce * waves* :D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I thought no st was pzev either, but I remember looking at one that had the factory sticker. Ive always wondered why

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I thought no st was pzev either, but I remember looking at one that had the factory sticker. Ive always wondered why
Probably miss read it, as I haven't heard the st23's being pzev.

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Steeda SRI would be a good option. Haven't heard anything bad about it.

As far as exhaust goes, you might have to check it out. Idk if your ST has 2 CATs, but if it does removing one wouldn't make much of a difference. If its the manifold cat, then MAYBE a slight difference. Just remember that the manifold cat is monitored. As Godzukidan said, get a Magnaflow flex-back. That's your best bet. Another route, which is what I plan on, is putting in new headers, new flex/downpipe, new piping throughout. Then, in place of the stock muffler, a glasspack (they run cheap as you may know) and a thrush muffler in place of the lunchbox. A guy I work with did this to his Neon sport except he put the thrush before the glasspack, sounds really low and throaty even with a 2.0L

1 - 16 of 16 Posts