Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Tom, quick question for you.

I'm getting a FR IM and a 75, yes, 75 mm tb that is matched for the IM. this is wider than the intake tubing. so will the stock (if i stayed w/ a stock) intake diameter hurt velocity? IIRC, the intake tube is about 70 mm? not sure. but if the tubing is narrower than the tb/IM opening, will this help torque by speeding up air intake velocity? or will a wider intake tubing help? not sure which way to go w/ this. also, this will be for my rally build. i'm using a zetec, not the 2.3 like i originally wanted. so i will be going for power up top, custom ported FR head, stage 3 or 4 crower cams, (not sure yet, but probably stage 3) 12.5:1 CR on 116 octane, etc.

thanks for your imput as always tom!

mlb

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
You wont have to go much bigger , what I would do is make the throat of the FRIM an Hr glass shape this will help keep the velocity up and still allow the 75mm to flow like a 75mm
I have done this on the flow bench and it liked it enough worth doing and did this to all the FRIM I did , the one on mine I even welded up so I could control the shape better

Tom

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you talking inserting something or actually removing more material? cause i think this mani is already ported to match the 75 mm tb

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another question for you tom, is there a kit for the FRIM to bolt up to an SVT head???

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Kit no , if you have the GEN1 manifold it already is a direct bolt up to the SVT head

The FR manifold was made for the FR200 (SVT engine)car and was going to be a production intake manifold for the SVT till at the last Min boost was all dropped and we ended up with what we got

If you have a GEN2 they all you have to do is slot the bolt holes and it will work on a SVT

Tom

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do the ports line up on both gens?? just curious. i would think they would, but i can slot the holes if its a Gen 2.

I'm debating using an SVT head and getting you to do a wicked port job on it and slap in some massive cams (VCT delete) on 12.5:1 CR or going w/ a FR head ported out. i know the SVT will cost more in the long run, but it will be worth it if its a larger gain. what do you think?

also, when the oil pumps fail w/ a billet gear, is it the gear that fails? or the housing itself? and if its the gear, do you know what material its made out of? if i machined a custom gear out of the hardest possible alloy, would that work instead of a drysump?

thanks for the imput

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Gen1 is a direct bolt up and line up to a SVT head

Gen2 is a direct bolt up and line up to a ZX3 head

If your going with that kind of compression then yes the SVT head would be the way to go

I would get your cams from CAT or one of the EURO cam Co.

The gear is where the problem is but reguardless what you make it from I think it will fail , it is as much as the design as it is the process and material it is made from . I would think serious about going dry sump , I do a LOT of Caterham engines and it is the way to go

Tom

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do you have a link to the drysump you use?

when you did ur NA build, did u use a zetec or SVT head??

·
Registered
42 Posts
mlbbaseball,
go to raceline.couk.That site has all the wet and dry sump parts we use on the zetec and svt engines. I also have two Ford racing intakes and FR 70mm TBs i am going to sell. Tom has seen both. I also have a ford Racing cosworht head i bought new that Tom worked on that will be for sale later this year.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i may be in terested in the head. i'm already geting the FR IM and 75mm tb. i'll look at the sumps

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
i may be in terested in the head. i'm already geting the FR IM and 75mm tb. i'll look at the sumps
It is a gen 1 and has already been slotted. So if you are using a SVT head. Bolt it where it supposed to go. Or a regular zetec head , then use the slots. I used the gasket as a guide to bolt it down in the correct spot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts