Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if it is possible to replace the instrument cluster of a 2002 focus SE which does not have a tachometer to one that does? Or is there an easier way to add a tach??

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
probably not. One thing that Ford DOES do to keep costs down that works to our advantage is to put all the wiring and what not in for u. i did this swap on my 90 F150, and it was just plug and play. If I remember right, the extra harness I needed was just sitting right there waiting to be plugged in. Of course, I've never done this swap on a Focus so I could be entirely wrong, but lots of other Ford owners have done this swap on other Fords without having to buy any extra parts.

Mike

·
Registered
515 Posts
It's a direct replacement swap. Just plug and play, no tach driver needed. All the necessary stuff is already built in.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Sometimes if you watch, you can catch them on eBay. That's where I got mine.

You can also order them directly from Ford at FordParts.com , but that's the expensive way to do it.

If you can find a Focus in a junkyard, that would work, also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here's my question.. has anyone come up with a Plug and Play digital Dash for the Foci yet? It's gotta be possible considering you can get all of the "analog" redouts via the digital odometer in test mode.

As an asside.. that's why the tach driver isn't needed, most of the dash is digital, just represented in an analog fassion because it's been shown that when talking about rates of change, people can relate better to sweeping gauges better than digital readouts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Does anyone know how to re-calibrate the gauges? I installed an aftermarket gauge face and my gas and speedo needles are off by quite a bit, I tried doing a reset where you turn the car on and hold the mile reset thing and the gauges like reset but it didnt help!?

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's illegal to reprogram the guage cluster... My mom tried to have her 00' adjusted as her speedo was off. They said sorry as they can't adjust the speedo stuuf ones it's been set at the factory...

If you have it done or swap your speedo cluster... you car would become "miles unknown" title! Not good on a car that is an 03, 02, 01, 00 etc.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I found a sony edition focus sedan at a junk yard and it has the instrument cluster with a tachometer. So i couldn't switch that one out for mine and it work right?

·
Registered
178 Posts
you can switch them out.... the mileage has to be uploaded into your ecu first, and then downloaded into the new cluster....

go talk to your dealer

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Good luck finding a dealer that knows how to "sync" the new cluster.

I asked 4 different dealer service writers and techs, only one said they could do it but it would be the cost of the new cluster("$400" it lists for $295) and 4 hours labor @ $95/hr. LOL

I'm still searching!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yeah, it shouldn't be that big a deal. Other "Fanatics" have had it done but I don't know the specifics. Most of my posts with the same questions didn't get me enough info on how it's done.
I already bought a used '00-'03 cluster with tach on ebay but the connector on my '03 PZEV was different.
The '03 PZEV models are actually '03 1/2 and need special care when getting parts.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
as far as calibrating goes.... you could do it the ghetto way like i did. when i put my new gauge face on (one of the white ones that lights up blue), i pulled the needles off bc i thought you had to. to re-calibrate:

gas tank: fill the tank, and stick the needle on full. don't laugh. it worked.

temp: most focii i've seen have their temp gauge sticking straight up when the car is at operating tempereature. i just took my car for a nice drive and stuck it on straight up when i got back.

tach: this one is a little tricky. set the digital readout to "test"" mode (to do this, hold down the trip odometer reset button before you start the car, then start the car while still holding the button). then raise the RPMs to a level that is easy to read (i did it a 2000 rpm). it was kinda hard to hold the throttle at just the right position while sticking on the needle, but i got it after a couple of tries. just be patient.

speedo: cruise control really helps here. find a nice open road where you can concentrate more on the speedo. again, set the digital readout to test mode and set the cruise to an easy number to read out. i think i did mine at 40. slap the needle on and you're done. NOTE: you can't just slap the needle on at 0 when you're not moving. i tried, and it didn't work. don't ask me why.

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts