Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to swap in an instrument cluster with a tach to replace my tachless cluster on my 06 zx3 S. Does anybody have experience with this? Because I was thinking that I could remove the odometer from the original and replace it into the new one. or, does anybody know of an easy way to wire an aftermarket tachometer? I had the idea that if you can find the pins for the instrument cluster that control the tach you can just wire it that way.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I could be way off but I think I remember in the 00 to 04 the odometer was in the computer or in both the computer and the tach and you could not just swap out the tach LCD screen.
I do think Ford service had a way to do the swap and keep the correct mileage.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Aftermarket tachs don't play well in the Foci. Not sure why but seen threads about them not working. Ford service SHOULD be able to adjust but will probably not want to for liability reasons unless you know the service writer and they know you aren't trying to roll back the ODO for resale value.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The odometer in the Focus clusters is not a separate piece that can be directly replaced like in older wheel odometers.

There are many other threads on this topic but for a quick rundown here it goes. As far as what it takes to replace it you would first need a cluster from another car, hopefully you can find one with slightly higher mileage than your current cluster so that when your car gets to the mileage of the replacement cluster would simply have to replace the cluster at that point. However if the car you pull the cluster from has ABS (and/or traction control) and your car doesn't then you will have the warning lights for those illuminated.

The other option is to have the replacement cluster cloned from the stock cluster. That is something that I am experienced with, have the equipment for , and have done on my own car. However for that to be done would need both clusters either the car in person or to have both clusters sent to me and then sent back after the procedure, though that would obviously mean downtime for the car as you wouldn't have a gauge cluster in it. I do not currently have a way to arbitrarily set the mileage at this time however.

Contact me privately if interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts