Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 04 with just over 40k miles, yesterday the instrument cluster went haywire. The gauges are doing some screwy stuff, they won't work at all then all of sudden start working fine then go crazy and stop working again. I checked both fuses for the instrument cluster and both appear to be good. Anybody else ever experience this or heard of this before. Would like to fix myself if possible or at least know what it is so the dealership doesn't try to have their way with me. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They seem to be good. Nothing else appears to be acting up only the gauges. The lights for the gauges even work.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
on the back of the cluster you will find a plug that will need to be reseated to fix that problem...

when you tilt the cluster out pop the little black lever up and it will unlock and unplug itself from the cluster when reinstalling press the plug lightly in until the lever starts to move back down.. then seat the leaver and it should be reseated on the rare occasion a good push will fix it

Fords design of the foam insert to prevent vibrations from causing a bad connection from driving.. problem is the tension it puts on it causes that problem in reality a good push or reset of the plug will remedy it :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts