Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read posts with similar problems on this Forum, but my problem is slightly different. My gauges on the instrument cluster are not working. Temp, Speed, tach, and fuel gauge do not move when the car is started or turned to the run position. The lights on the instrument cluster work. But the LED reading for the odometer does not display showing the mileage. When you turn the key on the normal lights that display illuminate. The turn signals, flashers, heater fan, radio, headlights, tail lights, brake lights, cruise control all work correctly. But do not get the light on the Instrument cluster showing the cruise control is on. Also, the engine light was on for an EGR problem, and now the engine light is not on. If you drive the car it runs fine, the only problem I can find is that the gauges do not work. I checked all the fuses under the dash and they all seem normal. Any suggestions???

2003 Focus ZTS... 2.0 135000 miles...

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Not sure what that problem is... but I have seen some people here who have removed and cleaned the circuit board of the instrument cluster and got "things" fixed; ->> just by cleaning the circuit board. This is what I would do if I was in your shoes. Heck, maybe just re-seating the connectors on the back would help? Good luck.

I am wondering if your OBDII port is alive or not. Have someone plug a scan tool into it and see if it has communication to the PCM.

Also, do a search for "ford focus instrument cluster removal"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OBDII port is alive..

I did have the OBDII port checked and I can see the engine code for the EGR valve problem. I will go through and pull the Cluster out and clean the connectors and the PCB board itself with WD40, and see if that helps... Thanks for the input...

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
A couple months ago, someone here had a pinched wire under his passenger seat, the wire was part of the restraints system & ISO digital bus. This in-turn pissed off the PCM and knocked out the SCP bus which (probably) knocked out his OBD port and SOME OF the instrument cluster too IIRC. Moral of the story is; you might have some wire damage somewhere, a bad ground somewhere. Might as well start with making sure your battery terminal connections are very healthy.

Does your odometer mileage display show dashes "---------" or is it just empty or completely blank?

I would not recommend WD40 for cleaning any circuit board. Please buy electrical or electronics contact cleaner... and use a very soft brush. -or, car part stores sell "MAF Cleaner", that would be good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No display at all on the Odometer LED's...

There is no display at all on the Odometer LED's. I have seen some really strange electrical issues, they can have some really strange symptoms/causes. Thanks for the input. I am getting ready to put the Instrument cluster back in now and see if anything has changed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed it....

I took the cluster out, cleaned it and the connections, put it back together and now the gauges work. Nothing looked like it was dirty, but I am not going to complain. Thanks for the assistance....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts