Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Focus is stuck on that mode it seems...
My trip meter resets randomly all the time, and this morning when I turned on my ride, It was going thru all the diagnostics... is there a way to get it out of that mode?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just got through doing this on my car. I noticed one for, what I assume, the gear ratio on the trans. There was an eco mode, something else and a speed mode. Has anyone changed these and see what they do?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat for easier reference.

Test Mode on earlier models only reports data, may be the same on the current version.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,113 Posts
I just got through doing this on my car. I noticed one for, what I assume, the gear ratio on the trans. There was an eco mode, something else and a speed mode. Has anyone changed these and see what they do?
Were you actually in test mode, or did you just cycle through the on screen menu?

You cannot change the gear ratios on the car without physically swapping the gears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As most of you know, you can enter a test mode on the instrument cluster but only a few of the functions have been figured out, untill now. Here is a list of all the functions:

1 Gauge Sweep All gauges carry-out sweep
2 LCD Test Makes all the LCDs light up
3 Bulb Test Lights all functioning cluster bulbs
4 Rom Level Displays the instrument cluster ROM revision level
5 NVM Level Displays the instrument clister NVM revision level
6 DTC Diagnostic trouble codes
7 Road speed MPH
8 Road Speed Kmph
9 RPMs
10 Fuel Volume
11 Engine cooland temperature
12 battery voltage
13 ABS Fail Displays ABS RAW input (H=over-charging or battery L=Ground)
14 Electronic brake distrubution failure ^
15 Illumination H=on L=off
16 Crank sense H=ignition L=ground or over-charging

There they are, go have fun and be merry!! (oh yea, print this out and put in your FOCUS manual also [cool] )

Also i am working on thoes DTC Codes ill get back with you on that as soon as i find out
I realize this comment regarding the instrument panel "tests" is somewhat (LOL) old but hopefully I can still get an answer on something

When I do this test on my '04 should *all* the gauges, assuming they're working properly, move through the entire range for the sweep test? I ask this because on my car, the tach doesn't normally work, and it stays still during the sweep test. The temp and gauge does work, but it also doesn't move during the sweep test, and the fuel gauge, "sticks" at the 1/2 mark both during the sweep test AND when driving normally.

With those results, I'm not sure what to think, especially with the tach and fuel gauges.

Also, this test process seems to work for my '04 (ZX3) but not for my '01. Any ideas on that?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I realize this comment regarding the instrument panel "tests" is somewhat (LOL) old but hopefully I can still get an answer on something

When I do this test on my '04 should *all* the gauges, assuming they're working properly, move through the entire range for the sweep test? I ask this because on my car, the tach doesn't normally work, and it stays still during the sweep test. The temp and gauge does work, but it also doesn't move during the sweep test, and the fuel gauge, "sticks" at the 1/2 mark both during the sweep test AND when driving normally.

With those results, I'm not sure what to think, especially with the tach and fuel gauges.

Also, this test process seems to work for my '04 (ZX3) but not for my '01. Any ideas on that?
Way to resurrect an old thread lol. Yes, all gauges should sweep all the way, stay for just a second and return to normal as well as light all the applicable lights for your car. It sounds like your cluster is on its way out. I wish i had experience with the mechanics of the dash, but if it were me, I'd try and find one in a junkyard and replace it and see if it works or has the same results. Hopefully its just the stepper motors on the dials malfunctioning after years of use.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Actually my old 2003 xz3 has bit the dust and im in the process of dismantling it. Ive no clue if it would interchange, but id send it to you if you'd send me 10 + shipping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Way to resurrect an old thread lol. Yes, all gauges should sweep all the way, stay for just a second and return to normal as well as light all the applicable lights for your car. It sounds like your cluster is on its way out. I wish i had experience with the mechanics of the dash, but if it were me, I'd try and find one in a junkyard and replace it and see if it works or has the same results. Hopefully its just the stepper motors on the dials malfunctioning after years of use.
Thanks Dustin ... pretty much the answer I was hoping for. I saw a bunch of 01's - 04's at the local you-pull salvage yard the other day but didn't want to waste the money w/o getting another idea.

Do you mind if I hit you w/ 3 more? If you don't feel like bothering, no problem.

Any idea why the sweep test would work for the '04 ZX3 but not an '01?

Second, do you know / think would an older one, let's say from an '02 or '01 be a direct replacement or should I stay with a same-year swap?

And, do you know or think if a standard panel (the one w/ the 2 LCD displays but no tach) would be a direct "downgrade" from the optional panel (the one w/ the tach) without having to screw around with wires, etc?

Thanks again, glad someone's still looking at these oldies.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks Dustin ... pretty much the answer I was hoping for. I saw a bunch of 01's - 04's at the local you-pull salvage yard the other day but didn't want to waste the money w/o getting another idea.

Do you mind if I hit you w/ 3 more? If you don't feel like bothering, no problem.

Any idea why the sweep test would work for the '04 ZX3 but not an '01?

Second, do you know / think would an older one, let's say from an '02 or '01 be a direct replacement or should I stay with a same-year swap?

And, do you know or think if a standard panel (the one w/ the 2 LCD displays but no tach) would be a direct "downgrade" from the optional panel (the one w/ the tach) without having to screw around with wires, etc?

Thanks again, glad someone's still looking at these oldies.
Yea tapatalk is awesome, it keeps me up to date on all my forums. Give me a little time to looking into your questions, but im thinking the base cluster w/o tach has the same harness as the one with tach.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
You can swap 'up" to tach cluster, going down will work as well.

Needs to be from a car with the same engine, duratec & zetec clusters don't swap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's how:

Hold down your odometer reset button, turn your key and start the car, continue holding the button for a few seconds, and you'll get into "test mode", where you can scroll through a bunch of different readings by pressing the button.
Just to further resurrect the dead thread .... and to make a correction:

You do 'not' have to actually start the car to put the gauge into test mode. Just hold down the trip/odometer reset button (the button poking out from the speedometer), turn the ignition key to the "on" position (not all the way to the starter engage position) while at the same time continuing to hold the reset button for a few seconds until the gauge displays "test" (or something similar to "test").

21 - 36 of 36 Posts