Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know, you can enter a test mode on the instrument cluster but only a few of the functions have been figured out, untill now. Here is a list of all the functions:

1 Gauge Sweep All gauges carry-out sweep
2 LCD Test Makes all the LCDs light up
3 Bulb Test Lights all functioning cluster bulbs
4 Rom Level Displays the instrument cluster ROM revision level
5 NVM Level Displays the instrument clister NVM revision level
6 DTC Diagnostic trouble codes
7 Road speed MPH
8 Road Speed Kmph
9 RPMs
10 Fuel Volume
11 Engine cooland temperature
12 battery voltage
13 ABS Fail Displays ABS RAW input (H=over-charging or battery L=Ground)
14 Electronic brake distrubution failure ^
15 Illumination H=on L=off
16 Crank sense H=ignition L=ground or over-charging

There they are, go have fun and be merry!! (oh yea, print this out and put in your FOCUS manual also [cool] )

Also i am working on thoes DTC Codes ill get back with you on that as soon as i find out

·
Registered
875 Posts
I searched, but couldn't find how to enter the Test mode. How do you do it?

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Here's how:

Hold down your odometer reset button, turn your key and start the car, continue holding the button for a few seconds, and you'll get into "test mode", where you can scroll through a bunch of different readings by pressing the button.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Thanks, I appreesh.[;)]

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm assuming for example, that #6, the MPH one, displays the current MPH on the LCD display. It's geek stuff - very cool.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I don't know but my cd player was messed up & I fixed it by pressing some buttons on the deck. The cd player said "phone" on it & I had no tunes. If you press 3,6, & seek up on the audiophile 9006 it will run diagnostics on the soundsystem.

·
NY's Most Wanted
1,036 Posts
i've tried it and although it's cool, it of course resets your trip meter. so unless you don't care what your mileage is, don't try it.

Also, there is an audio system selftest mode (press and hold the 5 & 6 buttons on the radio (radio is on as well) for a few seconds).

There is another audio system trick, this time pressing and holding the first and last buttons for a few seconds. However, i am unable to understand the result, can somebody try this and get back to me?

For more information on the Diagnostic mode mentioned throughout this thread check out FF's How-TO section on the home page. that's where i found out about it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ok, does it just reset the trip odometer? or does it reset the actual milage for the car? but if i could see my egine error codes myself easily that would be great

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just the trip odometer.... They wouldnt reset the actual milage for the car. [;)]

·
Registered
875 Posts
oracleguy said:
Just the trip odometer.... They wouldnt reset the actual milage for the car. [;)]
haha yeah, you'd have to disconnect the battery from the odometer for probably about 6 months!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Uhhh most likely not.... the milage is probably recorded on an EEPROM, which stands for Electronically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory... So it isn't viotile memory, they think about such things; you aren't going to be losing the milage anytime soon.

·
Registered
875 Posts
oracleguy said:
Uhhh most likely not.... the milage is probably recorded on an EEPROM, which stands for Electronically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory... So it isn't viotile memory, they think about such things; you aren't going to be losing the milage anytime soon.
That inference was based on the odometer using a capacitor of sorts to store the mileage data..

·
NY's Most Wanted
1,036 Posts
yeah i used that and my speed was off by 2 or three mph in my favor. but still...

Regarding the resetting of mileage, it is called odometer fraud if you reset your total mileage. that's why the reset button resets only the tripmeter, not the total mileage on the engine.

carfax can find out for you if your car has a faulty odometer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What am I doing wrong, I have tried this on my 01 ZX3, I go through the process and it says test...and then nothing happens. Keep pressing the reset button and nothing comes up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
975 Posts
What am I doing wrong, I have tried this on my 01 ZX3, I go through the process and it says test...and then nothing happens. Keep pressing the reset button and nothing comes up. Any ideas?
Hop in your car.. press the trip reset with the motor off and then start the motor and keep the trip reset button pressed untill you see TEST...

Then realease.. You should see sweep and your gauges should sweep.. then press it again untill you reach the desired function..

i did it this morning and thats the exact procedure that i used..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts