Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
d u c k lover
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm fairly new to all this im'ing.
in fact, i even wrestled with the title of this thread because i didn't know the proper abbreviation of "instant messaging"[hihi]

anywhich............is there supposed to be some sort of "im etiquette"?

i have a couple of things that bother me a little sometimes when i'm talking to someone....(please be aware, that my tongue is firmly inserted into my cheek........meaning..i'm being dryly sarcastic.........or am i?[paranoid])

*someone im's me, and then proceeds to reply "lol" to everything i say. meanwhile, i'm trying to keep a conversation going, but the bulk of the replies from my counterpart are "lol"........and THEY im'd me!!

*again, someone im's me. we start it off all fun and stuff, and i'm listening away at them....and trying to get a word or 2 in.......and then......BAM! ZOOM! ZAP!....they just die away. they are history. could you have at least said ta-ta for now??

*and then there are the multi post imers. why can't they write a few lines and then hit enter? why do they only type 3 or 4 words and hit enter? and then do it over and over again until they finish their thought?? write a little paragraph, and then hit the enter button. (babyface, i think i have cured you of this syndrome.[;)])

*"the nudge"...this one really only applies to my husband. he's the only one who has ever "nudged" me on msn.(and holy hell!!! it was good for both of us!
)
but in reality, it scares the shit out of me! if i happen to have my speakers up and he nudges me, i friggin' fall out of my chair! cut the crap al![smackbum] (but when he wants to "play pig" with me.....well, that is a different story.[:)~])

·
☼
7,494 Posts
the 'lol' thing I do to people I don't want to talk to at that moment, or I have nothing else to say.

The multiple post thing I do also, because that's just how I think, in blocks.

·
here and there
23,092 Posts
I think people see IMing more as a phone conversation... except with odd abbreviations, but with typical weird pauses, random babblings, and random lost calls. [:D]

It's not like "instant emailing" so you'll never get more than a sentence in most posts. Posting paragraphs is like the person on the other end of the phone line who never shuts up. [giggle] And yeah, it's multiple posts, because most of us type as we think... dangerous as that is.

TO ME, one should NEVER simply reply "lol" more than two posts in a row. It's just rude, and indicates they aren't even paying attention. Unless of course YOU are doing a "stand up routine" and expect such replies. Otherwise, it's the same as just giving the unemotional "mmm hmmm" on the phone, pretending to listen.

I don't do MSN, so there's no "nudging" for me. I like to keep it simple... AIM (and NOT the latest version) with sounds turned off. If I want all that BS they put on MSN and newer AIMs.. i'll just sit in a chatroom all day....either would be just as intrusive as sitting on the phone all day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts