1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
It does not. Only average.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Average only PLUS the dumbest, most condescending piece of crap ever - ECO Champion. Gives you leaves for anticipation, speed and shifting (manual only) and if you get all five for each it shows you a picture of a trophy. Clearly developed by someone from everybody gets a participation trophy timeframe. Totally useless.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I 2nd the wisdom of adding a ScanGuage. I've had one for 3 years and have moved it from vehicle to vehicle (I have 3 in my fleet at the moment). It's a very useful piece of electronic equipment and can gives you various readouts in addition to Instant MPGs. And it also will give you an explanation of an error code (should that happen) and allow you to reset the code without taking the car back to a dealer to have that done.

see: http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Automotive-Computer-Customizable-Real-Time/dp/B000AAMY86

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Why not just do your own MPG calculations? The Focus seems pretty close but realistically dividing miles driven in one tank by the gallons put in at the fillup my average was lower than my actual MPG.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why not just do your own MPG calculations? The Focus seems pretty close but realistically dividing miles driven in one tank by the gallons put in at the fillup my average was lower than my actual MPG.
It is closer than your calculation if you reset it to zero at each fill up and note your avg then. Letting it calculate the average without resetting before a new fill up keeps the running avg from previous fill ups.

·
Registered
444 Posts
for those of you who have scanguage in their 2012's can you post pics of where you posted the display unit. because as said earlier, where do you mount this thing without it being an eye sore???

·
Registered
63 Posts
As to where to mount a ScanGuage. I guess an eye sore to some may not be so to another. Anyway, I mounted mine on top of the steering column just behind the steering wheel. I used Velcro and it does not obscure any of the gauges (as it did on my previous vehicle - - a Mercury Mariner).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Were you coasting with the engine off?
no, it was about 5 miles of downhill, had the car in neutral the entire time..it actually went way higher than that, but it would only show 99.9..it stayed there for 5 minutes after I put the car back into drive haha

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
no, it was about 5 miles of downhill, had the car in neutral the entire time..it actually went way higher than that, but it would only show 99.9..it stayed there for 5 minutes after I put the car back into drive haha
Shouldn't neutral still be using gas...? o_O Or is that just not included in the car's fuel calculations?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The fuel is cut off when coasting in gear above a certain RPM. This begs the question, does anyone know exactly what the cutoff level is for the 2012?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Putting the transmission in N when coasting downhill removes engine friction from the forward progress of the car so it doesn't tend to slow down as much, but it does use some fuel to keep the engine idling. Shifting into N on a down slope is also illegal in most states I am aware of.

The Focus has an aggressive fuel cutoff when left in gear. The engine gets no fuel but is instead kept moving by the transmission. This consumes no fuel but does increase drag. One poster here did a comparison of coasting in N and in D and found that it was more efficient in D.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts