Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Sorry ANOTHER TB thread but this one has to do with installing it. I have recently got one from CFM (great company) and the installation looks pretty straight forward. But i was wondering if i should be widening the actual hole that the TB sits on since the stock TB is 57mm and the one i got is 65mm. I read about this being done on a site (sorry cant find the link) and thats what they did. I have an '04 Zx3, so thought & or comments thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
you can do that. you take a dremal and go at it. make sure you dont get anything in the intake manifold.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I didn't do that with mine but yes it can be done. You have to figure a way to not get any crap in the IM. Post pics if you do it.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
I didn't do that with mine but yes it can be done. You have to figure a way to not get any crap in the IM. Post pics if you do it.
he can always remove the intake manifold to dremel the opening.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok well ill take a look at it and dremmel it open to 67mm lolz. ill hopefully be able to borrow a dremmel for tomorrow.

·
Jetsetter
6,654 Posts
stick some shop towels in the intake and use a shopvac to make sure you got all of the shavings out, or better yet use a vac while you use your dremmel and suck the shavings right away and not let them fall into the intake

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya was going to shove some rags or towels in there then dremmel, but using that along with the vac would be good also, so from all of this im assuming i should enlarge the hole.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
yea but put the tb on and mark with a sharpie where it lines up with the manifold so you know how much to take off.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
OR, stick with what you got for now and find a 2000 Intake manifold. They have better runners so it flows a little better. Aren't the post 2000 IM plastic and the 2000 IM metal?

You can find them, just a matter of where.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
this process is called porting. You will want to take off the IM, it is very very easy, and you don't need new gaskets. what you will want to do is have an air compressor that you can run a dremmel off of. take ur time. Port it wider than the actual TB, but only by 1mm on each side!! Then you will want to get an abrasive-like sander so you can smooth out the ported area, then rub it down. after you have the opening wide enough and sanded, disconnect the dremmel and blow compressed air through each of the plenum ports. This will clean out the IM really really good. You still want to prevent any chips going into the manifold but to be safe, blow it w/ compressed air. Then you will want to soak it in a bucket of water. Then, you will want to blow it w/ compressed air again and agian to make sure all the water is out. This is the best way to do it cause one little chip into the engine can blow it!!

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Could you do it with a standard DC dremel and not an air dremel? And instead of compressed air could I use a can of air like you use to blow out dust from a computer? lol, dumb questions I know.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
well, you could, but the safest manor is to do what i described. it all depends on how powerful ur air is. it really doesn't matter what kind of dremel you use, as long as it is cleaned out properly and the only way to do that is take it off of the head and port it! If you feel what you are doing is safe enough, then fine, but remember, if not done right, you can mess up ur engine!!!!

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
The intake manifold isn't that hard to take off. I would just shove rags down the intake and do it that way many on here have. Have you looked in the how-to sections thats where the thread your looking for will be at.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey wow thats some real insight into the matter mlbbaseball, you know ur stuff. well i got a friends DC dremmel and was gonna use that with a sanding head. I dont have compressed air only canned air........and i really dont want to f$&# up my engine so ill prolly end up taking off the IM, how much time does that add to the whole work?

Also, looked in the how-to sections and saw nothing on porting (unless im blind). SO if anyone can post a few pics about this that would be delightful.

Note: Did find this on the net :http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0112scc_project_ford_focus_zx3_part_3/index.html (scroll about half way down). What you guys think?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
to take off the IM, all you have to do is take off the intake system. to do that, remove the 4 screws that attach the TB to the IM, then, pull the egr tube, then lastly, just undo all the screws that connect the intake directly to the head. There are rubber gaskets at the base of the plenum ports and they can be reused, however, you will need to prolly use some gasket sealer for the new tb and a new gasket as well.

For me to take off my IM it prolly wouldn't take more than 1/2 hour for everything if you have all the right tools, it is extremely easy, just takes a little patience getting to all the semi-awkwardly placed bolts!! Its not rocket science at all!!

Just be sure ur IM is 100% clean and this is one of the easiest mods you can do!!! You may also want to re-enforce the exterior of the manifold w/ epoxy depending on how much material you remove!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I just read that article and it seems perfectly good. however, I NEVER want to get anything into my engine, you would prolly be just fine w/ doing it w/ the IM still on the head, but I wouldn't risk it. It only takes one small thing to get into the engine to mess it up!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that is true, well ill end up doing it this wkend and make a decision there, if taking off the IM is as easy as he says ill do it that way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts