Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought all this stuff brand new about 5 years ago. I have had three children since then and have had little time to dig through the attic and install this stuff. Well this weekend that will change. Here is the setup for an 01 ZX3:

Alpine V12 4channel
2 PPI 10-4 subs
custom ported box from an Audi S4
PPI 2150 2 channel
MB Quart 6.5 with crossovers and components

Here is the debatable ADD-ONs:
1, 12' Phoenix Gold Gold plated RCAs
1, 6' Phoenix Gold Gold plated RCAs
10' Monster cable in 4g
12' Monster cable speaker wire
Alpine Digital Signal Processor w/ full graphic display (standalone)
Lightning Audio 4-8 Distribution Block
Lightning Audio Inline fuse
Lightning Audio Gold +/- terminals

With that said, here are my questions:

Do I need to ground the head unit and amps to the same location?

Will this setup be able to be supported my the stock battery/alternator?

Is this a good setup?...purely opinion. but I have heard that even though this stuff is new, it is outdated.......

I will post pics after the install.

·
Registered
549 Posts
to answer your questions:

no. head unit and amps can be grounded differently. ultimately they are connected to the same place (negative terminal of battery, through the vehicle's unibody). make sure you scrape the paint away (bare metal) for the amp ground. a poorly grounded amplifier causes problems

I don't see why it wouldn't be able to support it. your lights may dim -- a sign of a weak electrical system.

stuff looks good to me. enjoy. not exactly sure why you listed the "debatable Add-on's" in that manner... you need RCA cable and 4awg (atleast 8awg) wire for your power and ground connections,etc... those aren't debatable... more like necessity.

-john
SQF

·
Registered
155 Posts
If your lights dim when the bass hits you may want to consider a capacitor.

·
Registered
349 Posts
the wires that are hooked up to your stock radio will require a wiring harness, available at your local best buy, circuit city or car electornics store. the wires should be color coded the same (something that was standerized in the 90's) so that wont have any problems with the amp. the amp needs to mounted to something in the trunk (watch how far you drill dont want to puncture anything) wood or speaker box. make sure you wire your rca cables on the opposite side as the power wire from the batterty. unless you like to hear roadnoise when stepping on the gas. sounds like you have everything to get your system bumping so good luck and know we'll be here for anyquestions[thumb]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts