Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason when I use the search function, my work filters block...weird.

So sorry if this has been asked before.

My Dad needs to replace his shocks and struts on 02 ZTS, completely stock. Shop/stealership wanted to charge $1300, so he asked me to do it. I have only replaced shocks on my Ranger so no idea what to do here. Any links, pics or help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Jutty

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
the shocks are easy. You might deal with bolts being seized... but in cali i doubt it. It's one bolt on the bottom of the rear shock. 15mm i believe and you have the top nut in the trunk. The shocks are def simple. The fronts are a lil more involved. It's def not difficult so don't be alarmed. You have the pinch bolt holding the strut in the knuckle. 15mm also. you have the sway bar end link nut to remove and the three nuts on top under the hood. Go on google.com and search for SVT suspension installation. There's a pdf file that should be the first link. It's all you'll need.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Save yourself some money also and make it better than stock. I have the svt suspension kits that are complete, meaning that you wont have to swap anything from his car to the new suspension. They will come assembled and ready to install, not to mention handle better. PM me if you have questions.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The rear swaybar isnt in the kit anymore.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
You may need to find a compact spring compressor for the rear springs. I still haven't gotten mine out. The Autozone rentals are too big...You are supposed to be able to take out the bolt on the lower control are...but it's usually rusted and won't move even with a breaker bar...

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
^You have a post 05. I've tried everything...it doesn't come out without a spring compressor.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Jutty, If you're only budgeting for shocks then I suggest KYB GR2's if want to keep the car at stock ride height. They're a very good aftermarket original equipment replacement shock that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I recently saw them from one of the vendors for around 200.00 (shipped) for a complete set of 4.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Doing same thing lol...I think I can get the backs no worries, but the front is what I am worried about. Do I need a spring compressor for the fronts?

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
^Yes, otherwise you will get killed by the bolt you have to take off.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Doing same thing lol...I think I can get the backs no worries, but the front is what I am worried about. Do I need a spring compressor for the fronts?
If they don't come assembled, yes you will need a compressor. Mike/Hillbish Ford is the only vendor that sends them assembled that I'm aware of. Compressors can be rented or borrowed for free (deposit req'd) from most major auto parts stores.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
^The one on the top that holds the shocks to the springs. Hold up, let me find a good thread for you.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Never ever take the center nut off the top of the strut piston rod unless the spring is being held by compressors. You want to take out the strut assembly in a single unit (strut, spring, top plate, etc). It's far easier this way not to mention much safer.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
^Exactly, you may want to just break the seal but do not crank it more than a half a turn!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts