Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any links to what I might need to do with the wiring?

Got a hole in the lense and they are fogged beyond repair so I picked up a replacement set of regular halogen bulb lights.

I know nothing of electrical and don't want to fry anything.

Thanks for you help

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I'm not sure you can put in standard halogen bulbs. I mean, one could probably make it work with a multimeter, but I don't know the wiring off hand....or how to mount a H4 (if that's even what the non-HID housings use...I don't recall) in the Mach housing. Not to mention, with a hole in the lens, you are going to probably eat light bulbs like candy.

I don't recall the name or company, but I thought there was someone making Mach HID look-a-likes. That's about all I would consider putting in, other than stock Mach housings.

If you really want to go the cheapest route possible, you can probably pick up some standard halogen Focus headlights for real cheap...and they wouldn't be fogged or have a hole in them...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Central Florida Motorsports has replacement DEPO HID headlight housing for cheap. I'd start there. I just put them on my car due to the age and yellowing of the lights. They look great for a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Central Florida Motorsports has replacement DEPO HID headlight housing for cheap. I'd start there. I just put them on my car due to the age and yellowing of the lights. They look great for a fraction of the cost.
that's good to know. I wouldn't call those cheap, but relatively cheap when compared to the real factory replacements.
He may be replacing them with the regular headlamps which are again half the cost of the aftermarket HID units.

right now mine need some polishing but look fine for now. Good to know there is a aftermarket replacement for the lens unit that's more afordable.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
You said you know nothing of electrical, but want to change the headlights to stock. This is a bad idea, namely because you have to cut the electrical connectors and do some rewiring. Plus you have to do it to both sides; not just one.

Save money, deal with the foggy lens for a little while, and search for a single HID headlight. It's far easier, less chance of screwing up the electrical system, and will look better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i already have a set of standard focus lights that are brand new looking, so that is what is to be done

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have researched extensively on the replacement lenses. i have less than a c note invested and cannot afford to buy the depos and go thru the retrofitting of my hid guts into them at this time.

hence the reason for my question about wiring these standard lights up

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've been considering doing the same with my SVT.

I like the HID's and everything, but mine are starting to show age as well. But if your no good with electrical, you might want to find someone to do this for you as there will be a lot of cutting and splicing to do...

·
Registered
133 Posts
HIDs

If the lenses are the only problem with the lights, then why not just replace the lenses? My mach HIDs were really fogged over and the 'cleaning kits' just wouldn't touch it. I bought a pair of regular housings with perfect lenses for $15 at a swap meet. Not only did i swap the lenses, but i painted the chrome part black while i was at it. I think i have a total of $35 in the whole swap and they look awesome![thumb]

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
If the lenses are the only problem with the lights, then why not just replace the lenses? My mach HIDs were really fogged over and the 'cleaning kits' just wouldn't touch it. I bought a pair of regular housings with perfect lenses for $15 at a swap meet. Not only did i swap the lenses, but i painted the chrome part black while i was at it. I think i have a total of $35 in the whole swap and they look awesome![thumb]
Nice, there you go. And the OP already has a pair of regular headlights to use. [thumb]

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Swapping is over is pretty straight forward, I done it several times. It's like 6 wires a side you need to solder. Use shrink tubing and you are good to go no big deal. Just search the thread for swapping to HID's for the wire pin out. Please don't use crimp connectors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts