Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I'm interested in installing 2 or 3 gauges on my 05 ZX3 with 2.0 Duratec engine. I'm finding some deals in Craigslist such as an Autometer A/F and Oil Pressure Gauge for $45, but I'll bargain a little. My question is, where would I tap into oil pressure and A/F? I'm pretty sure I need a wideband MAF. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The A/F would have have to tap into the manicat and after the cat portion. The oil will have to go into where the dummy light goes on the oil filter bracket. You will have to rig something up to use both of them.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
45 bucks WTF I thought AFR gauges were like a gizzillion dollars.

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
A/F gauge itself is probably around 50 bucks, however the sending unit and other crap certainly is not =) my oil pressure gauge was like 205.

i have an autometer oil pressure gauge, its mounted on the a-pillar. it comes with a harness and sending unit, all you go is T into the stock sending unit, its where the oil filter attaches to the motor. i had to take off the whole adapter (oil filter + piece that mounts to the motor) to get the T on, you don't have a lot of room to work with and i used a fairly small brass T.

other than that its basically plug n play, after you get it wired to the lights and stuff, the most annoying part (aside from attaching the sending unit) will be routing the cables through the engine bay and fire wall. good luck.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
if i get time tomorrow, ill be doing a write up on installing my LOW oil PSI autometer light, it'll follow the same rules at the gauge.

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
which just ends up being a real big PITA lol

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
You probably got a narrowband A/F which ties into the factory sensors, and then just gives you a light show. And the oil pressure gauge, is it electrical or mechanical?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
205 for an autometer oil gauge?? WTH?!

I paid $55 for my electric autometer oil pressure gauge off summitracing.com

To install, you have to go to home depot and get a 1/4" T fitting and a few other fittings to make it work. I'm sure someone will post pics of it before me...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You could use the oil, but the o2 is not a wideband guage, so its kinda useless.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,624 Posts
Well This is how I hooked up my Oil pressure gauge. It works for mechanical and electric.

First I removed the oil filter housing. I did this to install a 1/4 NPT T fitting due to the fact there isn't enought room with it installed to screw it in were the factory oil sensor is. Also you want to use silacone tape or something similar to seal the threads to prevent leaking. I also had to use a male/male adaptor 1/4NPT to fit the T fitting to the housing. Then I used another adaptor to take the 1/4 NPT to 1/8 NPT fitting for the mechanical oil line that goes to the gauge. If you are using a electric you can just put the sensor in there and it sould be the same size.

The after all the fitting were installed to the housing I reinstalled the housing and gasket. Make sure the gasket is aligned properly or you will have an oil leak like i did. I was able to fix the leak by loosening the housings 4 bolts and pressing the gasket upward to set it in the right spot as i tightend the bolts back down.

Then run the oil line which if mechanical I recomend picking up the autometer copper line from pepboys or somewhere else similar due to heat in the engine bay. The Electric sending unit all you do is run a single wire to the gauge.

And there you go.

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
good pics mave, i did the same thing. cept i had to use a rediculously small T lol.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
mechanical are sooo unreliable but i hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Add this to the things to worry about......the brass "T" fitting I used on my oil pressure gauge of some years ago, developed a crack one afternoon. Not enough to turn the idiot light on, or affect the gauge very much......but I lost almost all the oil before I pulled into my driveway. The idiot light then came on at an idle. Big mess....

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
what about the AFR guag does it work in the same sense. or is it totaly diff?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts