Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2014 Focus SE Hatchback. It doesn't have MyFord Touch, just the simple SYNC system.

I was wondering if I could replace it with a MyFord Touch unit that would be capable with Apple CarPlay, presumably with SYNC 3.

If this is possible, how can I do it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is no one making a harness right now to convert from the 4.2 to the 8" screen. I did this upgrade for my dad's 2016 SE. What i did was order the dash wiring harness for a vin number that an SE has the 8" screen. I pulled the plastic dash out and swapped the harness with the new one. Then i installed the Apple Car Play USB hub and then connected the Sync 3 system w/Nav. I got the Sync 3 system off Ebay for 450.00 shipped and the harness from Ford for 210.00. I got the Sony CD HD radio unit, the 8" screen plastic mounting adapter and the screen surround off ebay as well for $125.00 The hub and antenna i got out of a car in the junk yard pick your part for 17.00 for both. The reason you have to swap the antenna is cause of the Nav. A car that did not come with Nav will not have the Nav unit in the antenna so you have to find a car that had the 8" screen w/Nav option to get the correct one. After getting everything installed all is working great in his car.

So all and all about $900.00 in parts and a weekend installing everything. Was well worth it. :-D

·
Registered
315 Posts
The reason you have to swap the antenna is cause of the Nav. A car that did not come with Nav will not have the Nav unit in the antenna so you have to find a car that had the 8" screen w/Nav option to get the correct one.
My '12 Ti came with MFT but no nav. I just swapped the APIM and nav works fine. So the hardware is there at least on cars that came with MFT.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My '12 SEL has the 4" screen, with a feature for nav of some sort (strictly voice perhaps?) but i still have no idea how to use it or if i even can with fords shutdown of sync services 4/18. But the vehicle has a GPSM already installed, it may be from this feature or from it being a fleet rental in a former life.

It may save you some time and monies to find out if your vehicle already has a gps module in it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ok, here is how the GPSM works in cars. All Focus's 2012-2015 have a GPSM regardless if it has Nav or not. Cars without Nav the GPSM is used as the compass to tell the car what direction it is traveling. And it is used for the 911 assist if you have that activated in your Sync system 1 or 2 versions. This will tell first responders where to find your car if it is not visible by the roadways. Now when you have a Sync 2 MFT system, it uses the GPSM to make your Nav work as well as long as you have the Nav mini SD card.

Now in 2016 to 2018 cars that do not have the Sync 3 setup and only have the Sync 1 system will have a GPSM for the same reasons as for the 2012 to 2015 cars without Nav. So 2016 to 2018 that have the new Sync 3 system will not have a GPSM at all. That is with or without Nav. The roof antenna has replaced the GPSM. This means that if your car did not come with Nav in your Sync 3 and you replace the APIM with Nav, then you will have to also get a roof antenna from a car that had Nav or you can purchase an external antenna and just unplug the factory blue plug and replace it with the external antenna in it's place to get Nav. So hopefully this helps you guys understand how and when the GPSM's are in cars and when they are not. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts