Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked everything over, and it appears to be great quality. I am going to put some clips up of it later on. the kit seems to be what im looking for.

·
Registered
370 Posts
man let me know how you like it i really want one, and does the piping go under the rear axle or over like stock, cuz i have a custom exhaust right now that the piping goes under the axle and thats the way i want to keep it, makes the car look extremely mean from the rear

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
man, its so bad ass. i have an AEM CAI, hypnotic tune, msd blaster coil, offroad pipe, and the hks system on right now, and its deep as hell, its not ricey at all. it goes opver the axle, but deal with that. get on ebay and find inertiaspeedwerks, or either inertiaspeedworks. i bought mine from them. 480 free shipping. you will love it. tomorrow after work, im makin a video.

·
Registered
128 Posts
ha u like it? ive had mine on for a few months now...it sounds very good with naturally aspirated i just went with jrsc bbk and it got deffinatly louder lol and im getting back fire on Decelleration...i dunno if its running to rich or maybe just having no back pressure at all lol im trying to figure it out getting very frustrated but it does look hot!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
with the hks, it doesnt really back fire, its that if your hammerin it, and shift, the time btw while ur shiftin, it wont pop on mine, it kinda goes pfff..but its awsome. i dont understand why people say its so ricey. heck, i'd rather have hks than borla any day. people just get butt hurt about putting import parts on a domestic tagged vehicle. well, they did make our cars to compete with imports, and if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, hell, lets go ahead and make it sound like a duck.

·
Registered
550 Posts
duck duck goose :) i demand pics and a sound clip or better yet a movie.

·
Registered
191 Posts
1. People say it's rice because of the angled muffler canister, not because of the brand or how it sounds. Nobody's calling Jon's pumpkin focus rice, and that's all about HKS.

2. The popping under decel is most often only there with a stock tune. Typically it goes away with a good tune.

3. Another reason some will call it rice is that it is purely an aesthetic mod. It's barely larger than the stock SVT exhaust and costs way more than other systems that give added performance capacity (though not taken advantage of without FI). I wouldn't put an exhaust on my car that doesn't sound as good or better than stock (which is REALLY nice, BTW), but why would one choose to not spend less, get great sound, and add performance capability? Something different than what everybody else has, I know, I know...

4. There are already pics, sound clips, and video of this exhaust on various cars - any other unnecessary demands?

5. OVER! It goes OVER the axle now! [?|]

·
Registered
284 Posts
hks makes really nice exhausts. you will gain some power out of that. the more engine mods you have, the more beneficial upgrading the exhaust is

·
Registered
191 Posts
Spec3VR6 said:
hks makes really nice exhausts. you will gain some power out of that. the more engine mods you have, the more beneficial upgrading the exhaust is
They make a wonderful quality exhaust. That said, you won't gain a bit of power on an SVT doing an exhaust until after you're FI.

Stock SVT = 58mm diameter
HKS SVT = 60mm diamter

The SVTF has a 2.283" exhaust bone-stock. The only real restriction there is the cat. The HKS is 2.362" diameter. Basically all of the other aftermarket exhausts for the SVT are 2.5" diameter (63.5mm). I'm not sure how much power you think you're going to gain by adding .021" when the exhaust is already not a restriction [???:)]

To my knowledge, there aren't even any dyno numbers available that show a significant power gain on the 2.5" exhausts on an SVT even with bolt-ons. I know at least one of the more prominent tuners started developing an exhaust for the SVT and then dropped it because they weren't getting any power worth doing out of it.

Same thing with the header.

At Sonic the other night we were driving each others' cars around. Mine has a FS Cool-Flo, tune, etc. with stock exhaust, the other two cars were 2.3 duratecs (one an ATX with FS stealth exhaust, the other a manual with the second gen. MBRP). Even with less displacement and a "stock" exhaust, mine sounded QUITE nice compared with the others. Anybody not knowing better would think the stock exhaust is aftermarket. [}:)]

Put your money to something that will make a difference - the stock SVT exhaust performs and sounds great [thumb]

Oh, and the last little bit that made me feel *very* good about my car. The two guys I was with both have significant driving experience with performance cars (for example, both have been trusted to drive the 300+whp FS duratec project car). Their response to driving my car was remarkably similar along the lines of "Wow! I forgot how nice a car the SVT is, your's really just wants to keep pulling and pulling!" [:D]

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dissagree with hks being too expensive. look around people. i got mine shipped to my house for 480. my definition of rice= adding an aesthetic aid that potentially makes the car look worse. the hks doesnt have bad styling, it has "JDM" styling. ok, it isnt JDM, but you get what im saying. alot of import guys like the angled style, and if thats your style, go for it.

In theory, the Japanese car modifiers put what we call rice on their cars, and we think its cool for ours to look stock, which is jdm. BEFORE people jump on me about saying our car is an import, it isnt, never said that. it competes with the import cars. so, whats wrong with using japanese technology to make our car sound completely bad ass?

i like loud, deep and smooth. thats what i got. tomorrow will be video/sound clip, picture time. I just waxed my car tonight at work. should be pretty in the pics!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Generally speaking, I don't mind the angled muffler at all and the HKS definitely sounds great. However, IMHO only, the HKS system isn't worth the money as an upgrade for the SVT. For the standard Zetec, I'd think about it. Still, the Borla sounds great, and is about $120 cheaper (although, with shipping, maybe $90-100 cheaper). If I'm upgrading the exhaust I expect to get more than just good sound out of it, I want a performance upgrade. As much as HKS has been my exhaust of choice since the mid '90's, for the SVT the performance just isn't there. Other companies just offer more performance and great sound at a much better price. As I see it the only selling point the HKS has over other products is the style. I'm not knocking anybody for buying it at all, just pointing out that if somebody buys it for sound or performance they missed something in their research - again, IMHO.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
i think my car sounds really really really good. i will NEVER change it at all. the stock exhaust with the RT high flow cat is probably the best combo imo!

jr, you're right, i totally agree with you on everything you said. [thumb] it's not worth it to me without FI. i've said it before and got my head bitten off for it. oh well, it's their car..

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i love the way it sounds. given the stock svt does sound good stock, but, its still a stock sound. nothing wrong with wanting to change that. and if theres really no performance gain in catbacks for the SVT, theres only 1 logical reason, and thats sound change. i mean, why would there be so many different brands if they all sounded the same? there wouldnt be any competition, or variety. its all matter of what you want.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think Dudley's posted a ton of pics and some videos too. Just search the HKS exhaust, there are a few threads. I think it looks sweet

1 - 20 of 21 Posts