1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
50 Posts
I tried installing them in mine, to find out that the headlights in the 2012's are controlled by the ECU. The ECU senses a loss of voltage and will not operate the headlights with HID's installed. At this time, as far as I'm aware, there is no solution to install HID headlights in the new Focus. Let me know if you find a solution!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently purchased these HIDs & projectors (http://www.ebay.com/itm/230821858322?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_7152wt_1396). I am having a little trouble installing them, and not quite sure how the low/high will work. I have a 01 ford focus zx3 and it only has the one bulb, and this has the two. I'm a bit confused on how to wire it up, and everything. Has anyone done this so I can get an understanding of what I need to do?
Thanks
I've never tried those exact headlights, but I have the Hella dual-projector headlights and to wire them up there's a harness that comes from the car and goes into the headlights (not the bulb, separate plug in the lamps). The headlamps harness then splits the wires to the hi/low beam. Assuming yours are wired the same way (they should be) then it should be plug-and-play and you don't need to do any "wiring" - you just unplug the wiring harness from your old headlamps and plug it into the new headlamps and the harness does all the work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh sweet, but will only one headlight work, or will both of them?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Each headlamp (driver/passenger) has its own harness so you plug the driver harness into the driver headlight and the passenger harness into the passenger headlamp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand that, but my current lights only have one bulb, the ones I have bought have two. Will only one light work, or will they both work? and hi beams should work fine as well?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes they'll both work for their purpose. The outside light/projector is the low-beam. The inside light/reflector is your high-beam. When you plug in the harness, it will split one set of wires to the low-beam, and another set to your high-beam. They will both work for what they're supposed to do. When you're headlights are on, only your low-beam projector will come on. When you pull the lever for your high-beams, the high-beam reflector will come on and depending on how they're made the low-beam projector may or may not turn off.

I believe with stock, if you flash-to-pass then the low-beam will stay on but if you click to maintain your high-beams then the low-beam will shut off. Most likely your new eBay headlights will work in the same way.

So yes, both lights will work the way they are designed to. But they won't be on at the same time. One is high-beam, and one is low-beam.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, Thanks. That's all I was really wondering about. + rep

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If you want both high and low to be on when you have the highs on you can do a little jumper wire at the turn signal stalk or you can build a relay harness to keep the low beams on when the highs are on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you want both high and low to be on when you have the highs on you can do a little jumper wire at the turn signal stalk or you can build a relay harness to keep the low beams on when the highs are on.
How would I do that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just installed my lights, but the high beams are on when the lows should and vice versa. Also the one side doesn't adjust up or down. Should I get a new pair or can the wiring/ adjustments be made easily?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well the wiring might just be you plugged the low-beam wire into the high-beam bulb and vice-versa (assuming they're the same bulb type as each other). Try switching them. Not sure about the adjustment part. I've heard mixed things about those types of headlights so maybe you have a bad pair :S.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the wiring might just be you plugged the low-beam wire into the high-beam bulb and vice-versa (assuming they're the same bulb type as each other). Try switching them. Not sure about the adjustment part. I've heard mixed things about those types of headlights so maybe you have a bad pair :S.
There is only one plug. Its for my parking lights, low and high beams.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not the harness coming from the car -> headlights. I mean the individual wires that plug into each bulb. There would be a separate wire plugged into each bulb. Assuming your high-beam and low-beam use the same type of bulb, it's possible you accidentally plugged the wire for the low-beam bulb into the high-beam bulb and vice-versa.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not the harness coming from the car -> headlights. I mean the individual wires that plug into each bulb. There would be a separate wire plugged into each bulb. Assuming your high-beam and low-beam use the same type of bulb, it's possible you accidentally plugged the wire for the low-beam bulb into the high-beam bulb and vice-versa.
well currently I only have the stock bulbs that came and I didn't mess with wires but maybe. My lows take h3 an highs are h1. I need the bulbs an conversion kit for the highs also. Any idea where I can pick some up?

·
Registered
45 Posts
If your lows and highs are different bulbs then my hypothesis doesn't work for you so I don't know why the wrong one is coming on :S the projector should be your low-beam and come on when you turn your headlights on and your high-beam should be the reflector and only come on when you flick on the high-beam switch.

There's no point in doing an HID conversion for your high-beams because they only come on for brief moments when you're flashing people usually (unless you're driving the back roads and use your high-beams constantly). HIDs require time to "warm up" to full brightness when they're turned on and if you only use your high-beams to flash people, then they'll never warm up to full brightness. Not only that, the ballasts amplify the power to huge amounts to turn on the bulbs. Flashing people with your high-beams and causing that amplification repeatedly is bad for the bulbs and ballasts.

I'd say just buy some really good halogen bulbs for your high-beams and don't do an HID conversion to them. You can throw in some Silverstar bulbs in there or GE bulbs, easily found at Walmart. Or you can go online and buy some HID-look high-performance halogen bulbs so that they at least match your low-beams. Hoen, PIAA, Putco, and Hella all make high-performance halogen bulbs. Look into that before doing an HID conversion to your high-beams.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If your lows and highs are different bulbs then my hypothesis doesn't work for you so I don't know why the wrong one is coming on :S the projector should be your low-beam and come on when you turn your headlights on and your high-beam should be the reflector and only come on when you flick on the high-beam switch.

There's no point in doing an HID conversion for your high-beams because they only come on for brief moments when you're flashing people usually (unless you're driving the back roads and use your high-beams constantly). HIDs require time to "warm up" to full brightness when they're turned on and if you only use your high-beams to flash people, then they'll never warm up to full brightness. Not only that, the ballasts amplify the power to huge amounts to turn on the bulbs. Flashing people with your high-beams and causing that amplification repeatedly is bad for the bulbs and ballasts.

I'd say just buy some really good halogen bulbs for your high-beams and don't do an HID conversion to them. You can throw in some Silverstar bulbs in there or GE bulbs, easily found at Walmart. Or you can go online and buy some HID-look high-performance halogen bulbs so that they at least match your low-beams. Hoen, PIAA, Putco, and Hella all make high-performance halogen bulbs. Look into that before doing an HID conversion to your high-beams.
okay well thanks for all that info. I wasn't sure if I needed them. I will probably have to send them,back for new ones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts