Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am a Ford Focus 1.6 petrol (Gasoline) Titanium owner.
My car is 15 months old from new.
I intend to instal an amatuer radio transmitter receiver about 6 inch wide x 3inch deep x 8 inch long.
This piece of equipment requires a 10-14 volt DC supply rated about 20amp max (thats at full power 100 watts transmit output). The power socket in the vehicle is normally rated at 10 amps thats no good. Apart from connecting the wires to the vehicle battery direct with inline fuses at 20amps.
Is there anyway I can connect this piece of equipment to a supply inside the the focus itself capable of supplying 20 amps....?
If so please pass on your tips.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Nope
Got to run direct wires and as heavy as you can. THEN you should run the wire through a torroid with as many turns as you can.
The wires are undersized the way they are
Alternatively, maybe you could get a separate battery and run the radio off that-then trickle charge the radio battery.
In QST there was this article how someone got a spurious peak around ~147 mHz, did not mention the make of the car, from all the computers on board

Remember, cars these days have more computing power than what went to the moon

Electronic tech 30 years
Amateur Extra-highest class license
Also licensed for marine, aircraft and radar repair

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike good to hear a reply so soon....
The rig you will probably know Yaesu FT-857-D.
A shack in a box affair.
I was hoping of course that under that dash board would be a live feed capable of suppling that amperage.
The owners handbook does state where ans where not to place any equipment transmitting RF and consequently it looks like I can only attach one antenna to the vehicle for fear of upsetting a computer or airbag or whatever is not shielded from RF.
I wonder if ole Henry Ford had the same problems on his Model T...hi hi
Keith
M0KLL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts