Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a zx3 with an svt engine and i took the cat out of the car and im runnig straight pipe to the muffler and its really loud, what i was thinkin of doing is put the cat back to the car and get me a flowmaster (like the ones on mustangs) and install it without the loud muffler, but the question is..do ya think it will make a good sound or would it be worse? has anybody done this?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think it'll have a low drone sound to it. So hard to say if it'll sound bad or not. It is hard to get a 4 banger not to sound like a pissed off hair dryer on steroids. But I'd say put the cat back on it, you'll have much better bottom end torque, and it'll even out the sound better. I have the factory cats and 2 3/4in streight pipe that dumps in front of the rear driver side tire. It's loud, but deep. It don't sound like a avg fart can that's for damn sure. .Stupid ricers! Anyways, If yuor gonna do it, try a 40series, or a single chamber race muffler. And let us know how it sounds, I may use yuor example.

Edit: Ahhh, damn smileys got me. Sorry, I'll fix it.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
hey i have the flowmast exhaust on a my zx3. i love the sound. it's not really loud but loud enough in my opinion. it does have a nice deep tone to it and really gargles when u back off like a v8. but compared to the hondas out there it isn't really much lol, but whatever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I say try it...

clamp it instead of welding it or just tack it. This way if you don't like it you can dump it on ebay or another member on the forum. As for the comment "gargles like a V8"....don't think it would sound close. 02 Dakota QC with no cat and flowmaster 40 series....can't imagine anything close coming out of my Focus.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
im not trying to say that it's exactly like a v8 sound. im saying that it just "gargles" like one with flowmaster does. of course it's not gonna sound like a v8. my dad has an 00 mustang gt and it gargles just like it not as deep and loud.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
A v8 has a completely different tone to it though... I'm not a big fan of the sound of a 4cyl, especially ones below 2.5L but I think the Foci sound decent.

·
Registered
32 Posts
dont go flowmaster go borla i have borla on mine and mine sound and looks great. Its loud but not to loud its just right [thumb]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i took the car to the muffler shop they customize all the exhaust and it sounds great! i like it and its not too loud, its perfect for me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts