Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can officially confirm that this is worked on my 2009!! I think we have the magic ticket!!! Just go on Amazon and buy the aforementioned ELM327 adapter for $20, and just do exactly what Tland4 says to do, and you should have working steering wheel audio controls!! You will need to set up FORScan beforehand with a free 2 month Extended License trial, I would do this before you receive the ELM adapter as getting your account approved by the FORscan mods takes a day or so. Anyway..

I’m honestly so floored that this worked, it was kind of a leap of faith as my As-Built numbers were just a tad different from Tland4’s. But I just punched in exactly what he said worked on his car, and hit “Write”, and I got a scary “Are you sure you want to do this” message, hit Yes, and the stereo made some weird noises and then went POP, and I thought I wrecked it. But then it came back on, and when I pressed the buttons THEY WORKED!!!

So on my car I have the non-Sync factory stereo with Sirius satellite radio (did the trial, was appalled people paid money for that), AUX/line in, AM/FM and single CD (never used). Car came with no buttons on the foam steering wheel. Went to a junkyard and pulled a leather wheel with cruise and audio controls for a Sync radio, cost me $19. Replaced the decrepit buttons with brand new ones for $90 (crazy but worth it). Got the cruise activated at the dealer for $50 using IDS, you CAN NOT do this in FORscan yourself unfortunately, you will need to find a willing and able Ford dealer with IDS. We tried using the IDS to activate my steering wheel controls but to no avail, and I thought that was that. But now everything works!! I had been considering an aftermarket stereo just to have the buttons be functional but now I can just use it as is, and I am so happy! This steering wheel swap is now officially 100% possible! Cheers to Tland4 for this discovery.

ben

edit:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad to hear, man! Wish I would've only been charged $50 for cruise to be activated. I paid $100 but still very worth it to me as I commute 2hrs a day with it on the highway.

Still awesome how my dealer said activating those buttons was "impossible". They're experts after all

Also to clarify for everyone about the Steering Wheel Controls. I do not have use the 'voice' button, 'ok' button, or 'phone' button because my car does not have SYNC and those 3 buttons are SYNC controls. I have volume, next/back, and media(source) which are all I needed/wanted anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glad to hear, man! Wish I would've only been charged $50 for cruise to be activated. I paid $100 but still very worth it to me as I commute 2hrs a day with it on the highway.

Still awesome how my dealer said activating those buttons was "impossible". They're experts after all

Also to clarify for everyone about the Steering Wheel Controls. I do not have use the 'voice' button, 'ok' button, or 'phone' button because my car does not have SYNC and those 3 buttons are SYNC controls. I have volume, next/back, and media(source) which are all I needed/wanted anyway.
haha, the IDS “expert” at the dealer I went to made sure to spit his dip into his Mountain Dew bottle before getting into my car. It was a nice courtesy but didn’t scream “expert” per se...

And ditto on the button functionality. Vol +/- , seek << / >> and MEDIA are all I have working has well. If I someday upgrade to a Carplay head unit I will try to wire the Voice button to Siri or something. Thanks again for the guidance!

cheers

Ben

81 - 84 of 84 Posts