Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am seriously considering doing this to my Focus. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where a good place to find a steering wheel for a 2010 in the light gray color scheme. I've checked E-bay to no avail. Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Junk yard, ebay. I got mine off ebay for $20. Just gotta keep diligent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to ressurect this thread.

I have a 2010 Focus, I bought and installed a new steering wheel with speed control. Took it to the local Ford dealer with OP instructions for enabling speed control in programmable parameters, and they were unable to enable speed control. They said the PCM installed is incorrect to activate non factory feature, and after they loaded incorrect software the vehicle would not crank. They said is was necessary to restore the PCM with original as-built data so it would start.

My question is, should I take my chances and try another dealer? Just wondering if something changed with Fords IDS (update, etc) that won't allow this mod?(as of 11/23/2016)

Also, has anyone in the Detroit Metro area had success with this mod, and if so what dealer did you use?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to ressurect this thread.

I have a 2010 Focus, I bought and installed a new steering wheel with speed control. Took it to the local Ford dealer with OP instructions for enabling speed control in programmable parameters, and they were unable to enable speed control. They said the PCM installed is incorrect to activate non factory feature, and after they loaded incorrect software the vehicle would not crank. They said is was necessary to restore the PCM with original as-built data so it would start.

My question is, should I take my chances and try another dealer? Just wondering if something changed with Fords IDS (update, etc) that won't allow this mod?(as of 11/23/2016)

Also, has anyone in the Detroit Metro area had success with this mod, and if so what dealer did you use?

Thanks
You sent me a PM but I guess I can't respond to it until I have made 15 posts on this website [B)] The dealership I went to is called Fox Grand Traverse in Traverse City, MI. All that was required was the dealership scanning/programming computer (I don't know what its technically called) to be plugged in, and somewhere in there was an activation screen for a bunch of different modules within the car's computer. One of them was labeled "cruise control", and my friend that works there simply checked cruise and applied it. If I remember correctly it took about 10 minutes for it to flash the PCM and after that I was good to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where does the white wire on the cruise control module plug into? I have all the parts but want a good understanding of everything before I start

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where does the white wire on the cruise control module plug into? I have all the parts but want a good understanding of everything before I start
I believe the white wire you're describing is the one on the steering wheel harness that plugs into the airbag, probably for the horn I assume.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are correct, I had an auto body shop help me look at it. Anyone know if the airbag clips attached to the wheel can be bought aftermarket? The wheel I found is missing them. I assume I can pull from the old wheel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just a FYI, I finally was able to find a dealer to successfully enable the speed control option within the PCM for me.

If anyone in the Detroit Metro area is interested in this mod, Jack Demmer Ford in Wayne Michigan is the dealer that was able to enable it for me with no issues. (They're located across the street from Michigan Assembly where my 2010 Focus was built)

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are correct, I had an auto body shop help me look at it. Anyone know if the airbag clips attached to the wheel can be bought aftermarket? The wheel I found is missing them. I assume I can pull from the old wheel.
You can pull them from the old wheel. I just did this yesterday (1/7/17) and had the same thing. Unfortunately I found out AFTER I already mounted the new steering wheel on! [bigcry]

A big thanks to this thread, it made everything simple and painless. Only issue I had was renting one of those "universal" pullers. It didn't want to grip the steering wheel when trying to pull it. Eventually I got it though.

Only issue now is finding someone to do the programming here in Phoenix Arizona. No Ford tech seems to know what the hell I am talking about, what an IDS or any of that is. I am probably using the wrong jargon I am sure.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
If a Ford Tech doesn't know what IDS is, he's brand new & only changes oil/tires.

That computer system is the one ford uses for EVERYTHING having to do with the cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks! I took these instructions here to the Fowlerville Ford dealership here in Michigan along with my 2008 Focus S with a manual 5 speed. They didn't charge me anything and it took about 5 minutes to get cruise control! When I bought the car last year with 60k miles on it, I was excited to see it had cruise buttons. I was rather annoyed to discover they didn't work. But now they do. Thanks Guys.[ffrocks]

Reactions: adamlee123

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, I would like to ask your kind support. I want to install also on my Ford Focus 2010, 1.6 TDCI cruise control and purchase the buttons/commands for the steering wheel . Unfortunately the pictures from this first post are unavailable (or I don't know why I cant see them) and I didn't managed to find a better description of how to do. Could you please send me a link to a map wire or some documentation of how to do it? please let me know if some additional information is needed. Thank you in advance for your kind support!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey sorry once again to open this back up or chime in but I too have a 2010 Ford Focus SE that came with the steering wheel which had no buttons at all. I have put on a new steering wheel and buttons and tried camelback ford (in the Phoenix Arizona area and having a hard time finding a dealer who will do this process) they told me that the IDS tool can’t even see a module to be able to program or enable the speed control. They printed out the list from the scanner for me and I can see where is says “less speed control” meaning obviously the vehicle doesn’t have it but shouldn’t they be able to program it to have cruise control???? They told me that it’s not possible. PS. I did try to tell them about the process described by the OP. What do I do? Anyone in Phoenix Arizona know who can actually do it?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here guys. I just picked up a 2008 focus se with 64k miles without any steering wheel buttons and no sync.

From what ive read here the cruise side is easy. Has anyone gotten the radio/phone buttons to work? There is a phone button on the radio itself but when pushed it just says "no phone".

If anyone has done both side steering wheel buttons i would love to hear from you. And if you have pics/part numbers you used even better.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry to keep poking at a dead thread, but I just did this to my 2009 SE Coupe! I had the foam wheel with no buttons and I don't have SYNC. The wheel was starting to disintegrate and I was tired of not having cruise control, which I think should have been standard anyway, but I digress. Scored a leather wheel with buttons on both sides in mint condition from a junkyard for $19!! I pulled it off with my hands, didn't need a puller, just yank it side to side until it breaks loose and just slides off. The leather is undamaged, miraculously, but was dirty so I hit it with some Mother's VLR (great stuff!!) and now it is like new. The buttons are all chipped, but I managed to find a wholesaler in CA that still had one set left! Got my local dealer's parts guy to purchase it from them for me, so I'll get those replaced soon.

The install was super easy. Just followed the instructions above, and then took it down to my dealer to get Cruise activated via IDS. The IDS guy was waiting around for some parts and had some free time, so even though I only ended up paying for 30min of work ($57), after we enabled Cruise he hung out with me and showed me everything else on my car that could be programmed in IDS! It was pretty neat to see what there was, and I was hoping maybe he could do other stuff like enable Global Windows too. Unfortunately Global Windows was nowhere to be found in my car's PCM. But there were some other options/goodies, here's a complete list:
  • Speed Control (cruise) enable/disable
  • BeltMinder (seatbelt alarm) enable/disable
  • Door AutoLock/Unlock enable/disable
  • Daytime Running Light enable/disable (dimmed low beams. Messing with this setting is illegal in my state so we left it alone. My car doesn't have them enabled and I am indifferent, although it is a good safety feature).
  • Audio System Controls enable/disable (I think this option only applies if you have SYNC, as it sadly did not enable my steering wheel controls to work on my existing non-SYNC radio)
I am super happy to have a beautiful leather wheel and cruise control, it's like I got a new car! And I did a lot of research to see if I could enable or force the steering wheel controls to work and sadly, if you don't have SYNC or a certain build of non-SYNC OEM radio that came with steering wheel controls from the factory, it's a no-go. There just isn't compatibility, the buttons aren't hooked up to anything. So basically you have two options: spend a ton of money and time on figuring out how to get SYNC in your car and then MAYBE the buttons will work, or just get an aftermarket radio and hook up a SWC interface. I'm going with an aftermarket Sony XAV-AX5000 CarPlay unit and a SWC kit so I can make use of those buttons! The Sony unit allegedly allows you to custom-assign steering wheel buttons, so I can use the Voice button on the steering wheel for Hey Siri.

This is my favorite upgrade I've done so far and I am really stoked to get a fancier radio in my car with CarPlay. Hope this info helps someone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had done everything you did to my Non-Sync 11 to change the wheel and get cruise enabled.

They said that the stereo controls on the wheel couldn't be done. They said their tech tried for 'hours' and said that because it's a Non-Sync stereo, it probably doesn't even have the wiring/connections for it.

Well I'm here to tell you, after 2 hours of messing with the first line of the ACM on Forscan, that I have working SWC buttons. Such a great feeling, let me tell ya! I

had thought about upgrading the stereo but this is a commuter with a ton of miles already, really not worth a ton to justify putting more money into it.

If you have Forscan and want me to let you know what to do, send me a DM.

I'm freakin stoked!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not in front of the computer right now, so I can't give you the exact numbers to change, but I'll tell you how. Everything that changes is only in the first line of the ACM

If you've got Forscan, go to the ACM and click the as-built. Save and also take a pic of what your as-built looks like. Then press stop and go back to the ACM and start the simple version of the ACM(where it brings up simple changes that Forscan already knows). Enable "SWC Pod Type" to '5 button pod' or something like that. Now press stop

Now start the ACM as-built again and compare that to your picture. You'll see that two digits changed. The first digit that changed, I believe will be the first digit in the 2nd set. I believe it'll go from a D to a 9. I simply changed that to an 8 and immediately everything worked.

The second digit that changed told the module that the car has steering wheel controls, and the first digit that changed must have told it the type of SWC buttons

I'll try to get back in the car and send you a pic of what the line currently looks like. Then it'll be even easier for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's the more specific and easier info

On line 727-01-01 my As-Built was 0040-D08B-E0AB

With working SWC, it is now 0040-08BE-063C

If you simply change yours to read like that, as far as I know it should work perfectly.

This is the adapter I'm using

61 - 80 of 84 Posts