Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an 07 ZX4, and the factory speakers are a joke.

mmmmmm BEEFY!

I'm something of an audio prude, and can't stand the factory speakers. I decided I wanted to install some components, but I don't want to tear up my door panels, so I came up with an interesting solution.

It's a 3/4" MDF spacer that adapts 5"x7" to 6.5" and has a little side-pod for a tweeter. I decided to use some Phoenix Gold RSDs because I had them sitting in the closet, and I'm too broke to get any other new speakers.

All the modification it takes is cutting a little bit of foam to accomodate the tweeter, seen here:

Since the door has a raised portion under where the tweeter goes, I screwed it down and sealed it up as best as I could using non-hardening clay.

Update tomorrow when I finish the install :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
isnt that 2 thick man, i mean when i did my install i did the same thing with my mtx comps and they where rubbing and hitting against the door panel.well i ended up getting thinner mdf so now its getting better bass responce...anyways hope it works out for you man and keep us posted with new pics.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
^x2.... 3/4" was too tall for me

great speakers tho [thumb]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did the same thing in my car. Twice. I used .25" Masonite hardboard.

When you do this, make certain that the plates are bolted very solidly to the car, and that they are sealed against the inner door skin. The will ensure that you get the most mid-bass response.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I got em sealed up nicely. I also plan to throw some Second Skin deadening on there. Good stuff :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also: Got my RSD's in.

Not cutting the factory wires ftw. I just got a paper clip, cut off two pieces, and wrapped the wire around it and taped it on. Plugs right into the factory harness.

The 3/4" MDF fit just fine. Only thing I can think of is maybe since my car is a different =year, the door panels are a bit different and accomodated the 3/4" wood.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

Coming soon: deadening. I'm going to get some SecondSkin and deaden the crap outta the doors for improved midbass :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
very very nice. im taking notes.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Hey nice solution, that is pretty ingenious. I just put mine in my A-pillars.

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
youve done some nice work. good job

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the compliments, guys. There will be more work done here once I get the cash flow. I'm looking at a Kicker ZX1000.1 and a ZX350.4.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Coming soon... Kicker ZX1500.1 (basically stole it off Craigslist) + 2 PBX 10s. I'm not a huge Powerbass fan, but they were sitting in my closet, and that's the right price. Also, coming shortly afterwards, a ZX350.4 for my speakers. Gotta get a radio in there sometime as well.

Sneak peek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm something of an audio prude, and can't stand the factory speakers. I decided I wanted to install some components, but I don't want to tear up my door panels, so I came up with an interesting solution.

It's a 3/4" MDF spacer that adapts 5"x7" to 6.5" and has a little side-pod for a tweeter. I decided to use some Phoenix Gold RSDs because I had them sitting in the closet, and I'm too broke to get any other new speakers.

Hey, I was wondering were you would get some spacers? Do you have to make them up your self or can you buy them? and if you could buy them where?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just made them myself. It took about half an hour, some MDF, a cardboard template and a jigsaw.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts