Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased dual halo HID headlamps...

http://www.protuninglab.com/hid-pro-yd-ff00-hl-bk.html

i got the HID setup all fine and dandy, mounted the ballasts no problem.

the problem i do have is setting up the ccfls. i wired them to the battery and got them to work, however i cant get them to turn on and off with the HIDs they just stay on when the car is off (draining my battery).

anyone know of how to get them to turn on and off with the HIDs? or a good guide that can help?

ALSO! i want to replace the grill so i need to wire the directionals from my grill to my headlights, how do i go about doing this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
little more info

a little more info as to what i attempted.

the lights have 3 red wires and 3 black wires coming out from the bottem. i got the ccfls to turn on and stay on by attatching all 3 red together and all 3 black together, then wired them to the battery. (im assuming thats not how its supposed to go)

The ccfls definetly work i got them to turn on, i just cant get them to turn off, im guessing i need to do something like a quick splice or something? i just dont know what to do and dont wanna blow up my headlights or car.

As for the directionals i have no clue how to even begin [???:)]

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Well u want them to come on when u turn the headlights on right? Well first thing u can do is splive the red wires into your turn signals. If you look at your turn signal wires u will have 3 wires. one is black which is the ground, one is constant which is when u turn on ur orange lights they stay on, and one is the blinker, which well blinks. U could splice the red wires into the constant wire and they will come on whenever u turn on ur orange lights and stay on til u turn them off. and the black wires go to the ground.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
let me reexplain

sorry i may have been confusing.

i want the CCFLs to come on when the car goes on...

i want the directionals from the grill, to rewired to my headlights. right now there is a directional light in the headlamp but its not wired so nothing happens with it. it has a yellow and black wire coming from it so i need to figure out how to wire it and cut out the grill directionals because i will eventually be taking out the stock grill.

as for the ccfls, i still dont know what you mean, i want them to come on when i turn the car on.

i know what wires your talking about with the directional but the directionals dont stay on while i drive, i want the ccfls to stay on while im driving and while the car is on. i dont think ide do the wiring through the directionals? or am i wrong?[???:)]

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Ok u have the same year i do so the wires should be the same. U want the CCFLs to come on whenever u turn the car on, well u would probably wire them to something that comes on automatically when the car comes on kinda like the radio or something. U could do an add-a-fuse for that. Now since the headlights have turn signals in them then u can wire them to the lights that are in the grille. Same wires as i mentioned before. One is black, one is constant, and one is blinker. if ur confused let me know

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm still confused lol

Ok so directional first, nothing related to ccfls: my headlight directionals are not connected and a yellow and black wire is coming from it, what wires do I spliced to what in the current 3 wires of the grill directional?

As for the ccfls, there are 3 black and 3 red wires coming from the bottom of the headlight, where can I connect these so they come on whenever the car is on? You suggest the radio, where can I find any wires for it and what do I splice to what? Or add-a-fuse? I don't have electrical experience so I'm not sure what an add-a-fuse is.

Thanks again so much for your help.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
If u want the blinkers on the headlights to only blink, then you will need to splice into if im not mistaken the left wire on the grille lights. im sure the yellow one from the headlights is the power and the black is the ground so connect the black to the ground on the grille lights and the yellow goes to the outer wire thats not the ground, middle is constant. I could be backwards but u could cut some of the wire off and connect and just test.

As for the ccfls, the 3 black are the ground which u can connect to metal on your car close to ur headlights. The red u will want to connect to a power source. Not sure where you will want to connect them seeing as how u want them on when the car is on. If u can look at the fuse panel and figure out what comes on when that car comes on and stays on then u can go to autozone and buy an add-a-fuse and use that. Someone could have a better way but thats what i know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone else?

anyone else know how i can go about connecting the ccfls red wire to the radio? ide use that but i dont know where its located

·
Registered
52 Posts
if you want the ccfls to be on when every you turn the car on i would also wire them up to the radio. like focus freak said get an add a fuse and tap into the fuse block that corresponds to the radio, then take all 3 of your power (red) wires and solder them to the add a fuse. then take the 3 ground ( black) wires and ground them somewhere. now when ever there is power going to your radio there will also be power going to your ccfls. for your directionals i would assume the black wire will be the ground wire so connect that to the ground from your oem directional wires then take your yellow wire and connect that to the wire that make the directional blink.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts