Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
yes, when i had my foci, i mostly saw a difference in MPG on the highway.

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
It can, but only about 2 mpg or so depending on your driving. What makes the most difference is that you'll be using less gas to stay at a constant speed, or you'll have the ability to maintain lower speeds in higher gears.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have seem to get better mileage mixing city and highway. I would normally get about 25-27, but since installing (no changing in driving) now got 29-30 mpg. Its not much of a difference

·
Registered
696 Posts
Mine will go to shyte. Any power boosts for me and I'm stomping on that gas harder to get there faster!

[thumb]

[8]

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
It shouldn't make much difference if any, it will sound better and more power is all.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You will get worse gas mileage....not better...this has been my experience on ALL vehicles. There is a simple reason for this. More air to the motor = more fuel to the motor. The MAF calculates this, etc etc. Plus you are more apt to get on the gas pedal more to fly around town, etc.

But essentially more air = more fuel.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Or simple equation -

More HP = Crappier mileage

Period.

[thumb]

[8]

·
puddins betch
0 Posts
it didnt help my mpg but the tune and catback got me some however you will notice a little gain in power and a good jump in throttle response

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
tdkaye1 said:
Or simple equation -

More HP = Crappier mileage

Period.

[thumb]

[8]
I don't think that's totally true. Won't a cat-back exhaust and a header give you better MPG?

·
Registered
398 Posts
You can potentially "unlock" power through some mods that don't require more fuel per say. Intake and exhaust type mods for instance can help to get the engine air it needed and wasn't getting, allowing it to combust more efficiently. and exhaust can help clear out too much back pressure without wasting gas and free up a LITTLE horsepower as well.

I added the "Stealth CAI" ie DIY intake after only 250~ miles or so on the engine and I am only at 1900~ miles total now, but my last tank was 29.44 MPG, and the one before that was 28.5 and I do about 70-85% city driving. So I am guessing that since the EPA rating on the car I have is 26 city, the intake must be helping out to get such great numbers.

I think once my car breaks in a little bit more, I hope to average 30+ with nearly all city driving. And if you figure you have to spend several several thousand dollars more to get a Honda or Toyota that should get a few more MPG, I come out way ahead in the long run. I'm very happy with my little Ford... [thumb]

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Some of you are talking out of your sphincters.

My car is proof positive of a heavily modified car getting good mileage.

On the freeway I conistantly get in the mid 30's with a record of 36.xx mpg.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Okay, look at that statement. Any car on the freeway in open traffic at a constant speed should put up good gas mileage numbers. That's the reason a car is estimated in a windtunnel, set at 55 mph, and optimum settings dialed in to max out how those numbers will look. However, look at any car, and generally the higher the HP, the lower the Estimated fuel mileage. More power generally will require more fuel and more air to maintain.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Corvettes lso get excellent mileage, why? Because of all of the torque they make along with a tall final gear.

The trick to getting good mileage is keeping your foot out of it and making a lot of torque.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yeah, and to make any real use of that, you need highway or open road miles with little to no traffic and able to maintain 60+ mph. On the average, any car on the freeway will make good mileage, regardless of AC, gasing it from 60-90 on occassion, whatever. Around town, mileage will always suck in stop and go. That's just the nature of the engines. Less work at higher speeds means more efficiency gas wise. Hell, average vette makes about 18/city and 28/highway. But they also have an 18 gallon tank too.

[8]

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
What the heck does tank size matter? we're talking about fuel consumption, not range.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
ya the tank has nothing to do with it, but i know that i dont get very good gas well i get what the sticker says 27 MPG but thats really it im lucky if u see the 30 MPG mark. maybe its because i dont have a tune

·
Registered
339 Posts
imo an air intake would increase gas mileage if you drove sensibly... i recently added a short ram and calculated a new best of 42 mpg city driving...(zetec atx)

of course i was driving grandma style... [burnout]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts