Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay guys, i just bought a shift knob today from autozone that cost about 15 bucks, it looks just like the momo one. Ive seen a few people on here which have installed it when i did a search, and they said they had to mess around with it a little bit. Well, i cant figure it out, so will someone help me out.
By the way i got the stock one off but the new one requires screws and other things.
Help me out please and sorry about the lame question. Im not good with this stuff.

P.s. I have the 5spd.

thanks guys.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also it seems that the spring in there is getting in the way? i am guessing that this is the reverse lockout? can i still install it with the reverse lockout? Help me out guys, i gotta date tonight and i want it installed. Thanks yall

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
what I did. I cut off the threads and make my shifter lower.

Remove the shift knob and dust boot. Cut the plastic strips holding the reverse lock-out mechanism in place. Then, poke a plastic grocery bag over the shifter shaft, with the stock knob removed (This catches all the metal shavings). Use a hacksaw and remove 1.5"-2.5" of the shaft.

Now, to modify the reverse lock-out assembly. If you flip the dust boot up over the reverse lock out, to see the under-side... you'll notice that the ther's like 2" of un-needed shaft. Cut that if you want your shifter lower.

Install the reverse lock out mechanism, and proceed to install your shift knob. Using the allen key, Turn each screw untill you feel it bite. Rotate the knob and tighten the next screw, rotate the knob and tighten the next screw.

Do this til it's all good, it won't move ever in the future because it made a groove into the shaft that prevents it from slipping off under an aggressive shift.

Desired effect.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
hehe i had that knob too. i kinda tore up my stocker a little bit getting it off. i got tired of the set screws comming loose on the autozone one so i just put my stocker back in. and that little cheap cf sticker came off too [:)~]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back to the top!! I have a free day tommorow so i am going to try to get this installed along with debadging.

Foci_Fosho's write up was great...but i am an idiot trying to learn about cars....can someone please help me out and explain to me how to install this knob please

Thanks all,
Shane

1 - 6 of 6 Posts